Author Topic: scopes with small and large rings  (Read 5477 times)

mike deputy

scopes with small and large rings
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
I have been given a 1938 commercial mauser, 7X57 with double trigger, round to octagon barrel in excellent condition, both barrel and wood are in excellent condition. The question, I have the claw base mounts and claw scope rings, the rear scope ring is 1 inch in diameter and the front scope ring is 1 5/8 inch, does anyone know where and what type of scope will fit these rings. I have been looking all over the internet.

Stewart

Re: scopes with small and large rings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
Mike,
Your German claw mount scope rings from the 1930s are designed such that the rear ring would clamp or be soldered to the 1" scope tube and the forward ring would be clamped or soldered to the front (objective) bell of the scope. I suppose objective lens diameters were more standardized among the German scopes of that era. Today we have a widerarray of objective lens sizes - 28, 33, 36, 40, 42, 50 mm and up. Most decent scope manufacturers provide dimensions and specifications of their scope models. The place to start I guess is to see if a modern scope bell will fit. Maybe try Leupold 4x or 3-9x 33mm models.

mike deputy

Re: scopes with small and large rings
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
Thanks for the information and direction.   Mike