Author Topic: HSc Takedown Problem  (Read 15943 times)

f4wso

• View Profile
HSc Takedown Problem
« on: August 28, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
Hi from Indiana,

I have what I believe is a 1943 Commercial HSc (#8437xx with only Eagle/N s) that a friend wanted me to clean up. I got the barrel latch loose under the trigger guard with kroll oil and it seems to move all the way down but the slide does not move forward at all so I can lift it out. Hammer is full back, safety on, mag out. Any tips on the best (wood hammer??) way to proceed?

Thanks in advance

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: HSc Takedown Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
Once upon a time, I had that problem.  There was old oil that had turned into varnish.  It just needs to move so slightly forward.  A hard tap with the heal of your hand should work.  A rubber mallet hangs in my shop for a gun that is rusted shut.  It leave no marks.  You said the mag was out!  You may want to take the grips off and Blaster it.  I like that product. 

JIm
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:11:22 PM by jcorl »
Jim

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Mags out. I'll try my rubber hammer

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
Thanks, tried the rubber hammer and some CLP Powder Blast to no avail. I will have to find and buy some Blaster next. Regards, Wib

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »
Does the gun cycle?   

Jim
Jim

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »
Gun seems to function fine passing safety checks. Only thing I noticed different is as you fire in double action with the safety off, the safety slides into safe and prevents firing. I don't think this is a rust problem since not a lot on the rest of the pistol. I haven't tried to cycle and bullets thru it  Thanks,

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
If the Safety is loose, then the Extractor will also be loose and non-functional.  They have a common compression Spring.

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »
Thanks Warbird. Would that have anything to do with my inability to get the slide off? If so, any tricks you know to get it off so I can do the repair? I've changed extractors and springs on other weapons or is it time to find a HSc-capable gunsmith? Wib

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
It has nothing to do with the Slide coming off.  Best guess?  You need to move the Barrel Latch more to clear the dovetail Barrel lockup (and the Slide).

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
Follow Warbirds advice.  He is the pro in this conversation. 

Jim
Jim

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
Sometimes it may get stuck on the hammer. Try pulling the hammer down while trying to release the slide.

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
All thanks, a lot of good ideas. I tried all of the suggestions to no avail with the help of extra hands and a vice. Maybe I am missing something or it is the arthritis. I have pushed the barrel latch all the way down with tool slightly into the trigger guard, while holding the hammer back and moving the slide forward. The slide doesn't budge. Am I missing anything?

I am used to having problems with old firearms and it always works outs - reason for the hobby. I want to salvage this pistol and will keep trying.

Regards, Wib

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
Just measured.  My barrel latch moves downward 2mm upon pressure applied. 

Jim
Jim

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
Jim, good idea maybe not pushing down far enough. Not sure if you measured it but mine goes deeper than 2mm by eyeball. With a plastic tip actually managed to get it farther down and stuck - still no luck. Thanks, Wib

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
All,

Thanks for all the advice. I guess something is broken inside and keeps the slide from moving forward. I don't know if it is normal but when the safety is engaged the slide moves forward which to me would lock it tighter on the takedown latch. Anyway, it is a neat looking paperweight for now