Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Mauser Rifle Questions / 1933 K98 DRP Banner
« Last post by Lyn on June 16, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »
I was shown a 1933 dated K98 that had a stamping on the left side of the stock for the DRP or Deutsche Reichs Post. This is a 98% piece that seems completely original. It came into a local store this week from a family selling a deceased WW2 vets stuff. The little bit said about these rifles in "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" does not identify production numbers and alludes that these rifles were supplied to the SA and SS along with some number of Reichswehr and later Wehrmacht units.
The current owner wants about $2K for it and because the condition is so original and outstanding I'm tempted to pay it.\
Have any of the forum members more information regarding this variation and if so could you share your knowledge.
Thx,
Lyn
Model HSC Pistol / Re: Wartime vs postwar parts Interchangable?
« Last post by pardt on June 15, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
Thanks Warbird!
Model HSC Pistol / Re: Wartime vs postwar parts Interchangable?
« Last post by Warbird on June 15, 2018, 06:08:14 PM »
That's quite a question!  At one time I started to inventory the differences in just Wartime parts until it got so big I put the list away and never looked at it again.  I'm afraid I will not be able to answer your question satisfactorily but there are a few I know of, most from personal experience.

These are different:  Barrel, Magazine, Grips, Frame, Magazine Release, Disassembly Latch, Recoil Spring, and Trigger Spring.  Those come to mind right now.

Many Wartime parts have the WR stamp but I know your question has to do with fit and not stamps.  I used a Micrometer a lot when I was doing that inventory.  Anything else that I didn't mention is a cautious "maybe".
Model HSC Pistol / Wartime vs postwar parts Interchangable?
« Last post by pardt on June 15, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »
My question is this. How many parts on wartime pistols would interchange on the inter arms version from the 70s?
I bought a parts lot of unknown origin as to whether they are wartime parts or not.
Model HSC Pistol / Re: American Eagle Edition Mauser HSC Serial 714 of 5000
« Last post by canuslupus on June 14, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »
Again thank you for your time and attention. I will follow your advice and keep this pistol in my gun safe as a collection item to remember my neighbor if nothing else.
« Last post by Warbird on June 14, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »
You are welcome!  One last thing that I recall to support my conjecture in #4.  Mauser began advertising the American Eagle Edition in 1976 from one of their brochures.
« Last post by canuslupus on June 14, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Thanks for responding to the question I ask about possible production of my pistol. It's good to have an expert to rely upon when looking for answers. Just to add to the mystery about the receipt, there is information on the receipt as to the date of sale (9-8-76) and the date of delivery (9-12-76) also has the serial numbers 714 & 715 indicated as being purchased at the same time. Which could explain how the one I have was never used. Wonder if these could have been part of an early trial production run with most of the American Eagle edition pistols being produced in 1977?
« Last post by Warbird on June 14, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
OK Greybeard:  From all the information I have that includes a letter from the factory some years ago and dated Proofmarks on actual production, I conclude that:

1)  Mauser ended .32 caliber production sometime in 1977 (00 series).
2)  Mauser ended .380 caliber production sometime in 1976 (01 series).
3)  That was followed by American Eagle production that began and ended in 1977.
4)  I suspect that the Sales Receipt was a pre-order.

Over the years I have learned that anything is possible from Mauser, however, what I explained above is information that has definite provenance except for my conjecture in #4.
« Last post by canuslupus on June 14, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
Warbird, thank you for the information and advice. As an aside, Canus Lupus means grey wolf for my grey hair and long grey beard.  Although it's of little significance, do you think that because of the serial number 714 on the pistol that was made in Germany, imported into the USA, and the sales receipt from Illinois in September 1976 is it possible that they began production of these editions in late 1975 or early 1976?.
« Last post by Warbird on June 14, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »
Welcome Canuslupus (Wolf-dog?).  This HSc was part of the final run of 5,000 HSc pistols at Mauser.  It was produced in 1977 and is specially marked to commemorate the U.S. Bicentennial with the Great Seal of the United States.  It is also marked with a new serial number series.

In the pristine condition you mention with a box, etc., its value would be in the $500 to  $600 range.  Of course, if you shoot it that value could be lessened ... particularly since the .380 HSc is prone to parts breakage.

Anything else, let me know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10