Author Topic: barrel change issue with HSc.  (Read 8078 times)

Drrere

• View Profile
barrel change issue with HSc.
« on: July 13, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Have a Mauser HSc chambered in .380 that functions without issue.
Purchased an original barrel in .32 ACP, and when loading the first cartridge, although it chambers, the slide dislodges concurrently.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,
Thx. ..... 

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: barrel change issue with HSc.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
Hello Drrere!  I suspect you purchased a Wartime .32 Barrel which will not lock properly into the Frame because there is a slight fit difference between that and your 1970s vintage pistol.  You can verify this by removing the Barrel from the Slide and try locking it into the dovetails on the Frame without the Slide attached.  It probably will not lock in all the way.

Try that and let me know how you made out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:21:38 AM by Warbird »

Drrere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:35:39 AM »
Thx for your reply.
Would you please explain more about the process of trying to lock the new barrel into the dovetails on the frame?
It is in fact a WWII barrel, but seems to seat well into the slide.
I may have closed the slide with the gun in the "safe" configuration and thought that that maybe the problem (haven't had the opportunity to try with the "fire" position).
Appreciated.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
There are two wedge-shaped parts on the Frame that the Barrel locks into.  One of them is moveable using the Barrel Latch inside the Trigger Guard so the Barrel should just snap in place with pressure.  The fact that it seats well in the Slide has nothing to do with its attachment to the Frame.

Drrere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:37:39 PM »
I check that out tomorrow and report back.
Thank you again.

Drrere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
Warbird.
The .32 barrel does lock in place in the dove tails as you suggested I try, as does the .380 it came with.
However with the slide retraction and snap return (no cartridge inserted) the slide still dislodges. This also happens if the gun is on "fire".
Any additional thoughts?
Thx in advance for your input.

Drrere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
Warbird,
After reading another post re barrel conversion where you mention the frame lock again, you also say it might be necessary to change to a weaker recoil spring with the .32 barrel.
Was wondering in light of my last entry (where the .32 barrel does lock up to the frame), if a weaker spring would be the next "treatment" to try?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »
When you say "the Slide dislodges" what you are actually saying is "the Barrel dislodges" since the connection to the Frame is by the Barrel and not the Slide.  Therefore the .32 Barrel cannot be locking properly in place.  This has nothing to do with the Recoil Spring.

Drrere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »
The .32 barrel sure seems to snap into a "locked" position, but must not as you state.
What was a previous response you made on a similar issue where you mentioned the possible need to change out to a "weaker" spring related to?
I think though that it will be best to change to a "70's vintage" barrel as you first mentioned.
Shall f/u afterword to let the forum know the outcome.
Thanks again for you input.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
You should consider changing the Recoil Spring if you have feed or ejection problems after you make the Barrel change.

Drrere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
Did change out the recoil spring (weaker) and have found that the issue may have been with reassembly, not forcibly enough pushing down on the slide (to fully lock the barrel to the frame) before moving the slide rearward.
Since I have been doing that (being much "firmer" when reattaching the slide to the frame), I've had no problems whatsoever and completed an error free live fire session this morning using both the .380 and .32 barrels; hooray!
Thanks for all your help, Warbird.

DesertDave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 11:53:49 PM »
Gentlemen, Good discussion! I recently acquired a PostWar .380 HSc Barrel in like-new condition....I was thinking of doing the reverse: Shooting .380 with my WWII HSc. Before anyone worries about my GI Bringback Trophy, let me say that this is my Gunsmith Special: Totally mismatched WWII HSc I built from parts...All is good with .32 acp & then a Friend sent me a .380 barrel...Looking for advice, Folks! Thanks in advance! I am here to LEARN...DesertDave

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 06:47:34 AM »
Dave, I would recommend you review this thread before attempting a conversion to .380 caliber:
http://www.mauserguns.com/forum/index.php/topic,885.0.html