Author Topic: HSc Takedown Problem  (Read 15975 times)

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: HSc Takedown Problem
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
When you push down on the barrel latch, about one half way down do you feel an increase or decrease in resistance?   It will be ever so slight.

Jim

Jim

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
Seem like an increase in pressure and may be little bit of slight grinding

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
That is the way mine feels, when it is working correctly.  It is clearing the tight spaces in the rails.  (Probably an incorrect term)

Jim
Jim

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »
With the left grip removed you may be able to peek if anything is keeping the slide from releasing?

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Vlim, good idea. Took a look with both grips off couldn't see any blockage. Thanks

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
That would almost suggest that the takedown plunger is broken and the barrel remains locked to the top part of the plunger.

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »
Agree, it might be the takedown plunger but it does seem like a heavy piece of metal. Anyway, I tried soaking it for a while in de-greaser and still no luck.

I'll check with the owner and see if he wants it back. At least I can give it a good home.

Any HSc savvy gunsmiths you can recommend?

Thanks to all who helped.

Wib

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »
After rereading all your posts, I just want to be clear.  The Slide retracts (opens) all the way without restriction.  Is that correct?  If that statement is correct then the only thing preventing it from moving forward off the Frame is the Barrel Latch and Vlim would have to be correct that it is broken, although I have never heard of this happening.  Please confirm my question.

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
Yes, correct. The slide can be opened and even locks back on mag. I think the safety has to be off to pull slide all the way back

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 06:41:03 AM »
The HSc Safety has only one function:  it moves the tail of the Firing Pin up into a recess in the Slide and out of the path of the Hammer.  If anything else is going on with its movement then something is wrong with the internal mechanism.

Back to the Barrel Latch.  Its shaft is hollow with a return Spring inserted.  When you push down on the Latch does it want to return back up?  If not then it is definitely broken.  Since there is no way to get at the top of the Latch (a dovetail), the only thing I can think of is flooding it from the Trigger Guard with penetrating oil, let it set for a day or so then try to shake it down.

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 02:22:15 PM »
Warbird, thanks.

In answer to your question. When I push down on the Latch it wants to return (spring) back up.

I have noticed when I engage the safety the whole slide moves forward and when I move safety to fire the slide moves backward. If I then pull trigger in DA the safety moves half way to on on first pull and then all the way to safe on the second. Not sure if this is normal?

So I understand your recommendation, I should
1. Place pistol upside down and flood with penetrating oil (I have Kroll and WD40) through the Latch on the front of the trigger (and/or Trigger Base gap)
2. Let set for a few days
3. Holding pistol upright push down on the latch while shaking the pistol and moving the slide forward and up
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:04:14 PM by Warbird »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »
That is correct procedure ... you are trying to shake the head of the Barrel Latch out of its dovetail on the Barrel.   I use WD40 for everything and not familiar with Kroil.

I covered the action of your Safety already but to restate:  The action of your Safety is NOT normal.  I am beginning to suspect that someone took this HSc apart and reassembled it broken and incorrectly.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:11:17 PM by Warbird »

f4wso

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »
Thanks for clarifying. Soaking now. The take down latch if really pushed down can be made to stick/wedge in place, but will easily spring back with a gentle touch.

I agree, something is not right on the inside of this pistol. Hate to see that happen to these old guns

DesertDave

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
Aero-Kroil is wonderful stuff! I've used on my 20's & 30's cars for decades. Really breaks loose nasty rusted hardware..10X better than WD-40. Used it on sticky, gummed up P.38 slides over the years, too. Really works wonderfully. Then flush it all out, blow dry & Ballistol the mechanism...My 2 cents..DesertDave