Author Topic: Recoil spring Wolff  (Read 5994 times)

Freddyet

• View Profile
Recoil spring Wolff
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »
Hi new to the forum - really happy to have found this platform - I have a interarm Mauser - a 34938 serial number , the gun has a few feeding issues - i shoot ball Ammo ( Remington 95 Grain ) feeds great in my walther ppks . I have ordered a new Wolff recoil spring . I replaced it this evening . The spring said for early models . 7.65 / 9 Kurtz . The spring is actually about a half an inch longer than the old spring . Is this going to be ok ? Just seemed strange to have a different length. Slide racks , and loads chamber fine . Shooting with my gun club Tomorrow . Want to make sure going to be safe . All seems fine . I will bring the original spring if I need to change .  Thank you !!!  I posted this under another topic Mauser police issue - my mistake - should be under new topic  - sorry

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recoil spring Wolff
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »
I posted an answer in the "Police Issue HSc" thread but reply here on how it goes tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:46:17 PM by Warbird »

Freddyet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
Thank you warbird ! I will report back . Sorry on the incorrect post . Want to say thank you for everything you contribute to this forum . Wonderful to have such an experienced expert to answer questions . Love my Mauser s !

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
So very true!!

Jim
Jim

Freddyet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Just back from the range . Very big improvement in my pistol ! The new Wolff recoil spring made a big difference . I put 60 rounds through . I had one cartridge that did not chamber correctly . Before the spring replacement , I would have had 6 FTL ..... I think a little more polishing on the feed ramp , and will now replace magazine springs ( on the way from Wolff ) . l will continue to tune , so I will have a trusted carry HSC . THANK you again Warbird .     

Freddyet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:57 PM »
Wow - range fun today for me . I put about 70 rounds thru my Mauser - absolutely flawless / not one problem after my change of mag and recoil springs . I also spent a little time with the dremel . So if any of you have ftl problems - I would suggest new springs ... love the confidence in my hsc for carry . Love my Mauser’s ! Happy holidays all

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
Congratulations!  Now a suggestion for you Freddyet.  Save the original Recoil Spring and look for a .32 ACP Barrel of the 1970s vintage (not WWII) in eBay or GunBroker.  You will enjoy shooting the .32 even more than the .380 and your HSc will hold up longer/better.  Also the Magazine will hold 8 rounds of .32 vs 7 rounds of .380.

Freddyet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »
Thank you again mr bird ! Ok - I wish I would have purchased a 32 hsc - hard to find ... the 380 on a hsc is a bit jarring compared to my ppks - ( ppks smooth as butter in 380  ) . I own 2 hsc - both 380 - one a safe queen ( never out of the box ), and the other a carry , and fun range gun - I have looked at the option of a new 32 barrel , and want to make sure I do not get in over my head in the change - do I need to change anything else besides the barrel and recoil spring ? What about the mags or pin stuff ?  ? I have never messed with 32 , but know hsc was orginaly designed for that caliber .

In playing with , polishing , cleaning my hsc s - will a different barrel usually match up well with the ramp that the is on the frame ( I mean the bit of frame ramp and the ramp on the barrel ) not sure , but that looks like a critical area .

Thank you Warbird for you time and expertise! 

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 12:20:43 AM »
The .32 Barrel and Spring is a drop-in replacement for the .380 and original Magazines were designed to work with both calibers.  Nothing else required.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the feed ramps.  That may be something for handloaders to check with special ammo but really not necessary on the HSc (the design has done fine for over 70 years without polishing!).

By the way, I agree with your evaluation of the HSc vs PPk/S in .380.  As you said, the HSc was designed for the .32 (7.65mm) and (as a personal opinion) shooting .380 in it really takes it to the edge/limit of its operating envelope.

Freddyet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
Thank you Warbird , I will start a hunt for a 32 apc barrel . Happy holidays .