Author Topic: Mauser HSC American Eagle Safety  (Read 5448 times)

diceman3

• View Profile
Mauser HSC American Eagle Safety
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »
Just noticed something that I thought was not right with my American Eagle .380 today, and wanted to make sure of the operation was safe. It could be that the safety is not working.

With the mag empty, and nothing in the chamber, I racked the slide, and this put the hammer in the cocked position. I then released the mag, which closed the slide. With the safety off, the hammed dropped, BUT, doing the same thing again, with the safety is the safe position (S showing), the hammer dropped.

Unless the fact that there was no round in the chamber caused this, it would appear that the safety may not be working.

Appreciate any feedback.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mauser HSC American Eagle Safety
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:35:49 PM »
Confusing, diceman.  The Slide should not close when dropping out a Magazine.  It closes when the Magazine is inserted.  With the "S" showing (Red Dot Covered) the pistol is ready to fire and not on Safe.  The Hammer will normally Decock with the Safety ON.

Would you care to try describing your operation again?

diceman3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:02:16 PM »
Sorry, maybe too much information.

After racking the slide and causing the hammer to be cocked,  an empty mag is inserted. The slide moves forward with the hammer remaining cocked. Now with the safety “on”
(“S” is showing) and I pull the trigger, the hammer drops.
I did not think this should happen unless I took the safety off (red dot showing).
Does this indicate that the safety is not functioning properly?

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »
Diceman, Warbird is correct. Your HSc's slide should stay open when the magazine is removed and only close when the magazine is reinstalled. I'm having the same problem with a war era HSc. I would try another magazine. But that's another issue. I'll try to explain how your safety is working. When your slide is closed and the hammer is cocked and your safety is on your hammer will drop or de-cock when you pull the trigger. To help you understand this better remove you slide. Turn it upside down. Look at the rear of the slide and you will see the back of your firing pin. Now rotate your safety from safe to fire a few times noting that when you move it to the safe position it moves your firing pin up and away from where the hammer will strike. So, with your slide back on the gun. Cock the gun and put the safety on. You have now swung the firing pin internally out of position and away from the hammer. Now pull the trigger and the hammer will fall (or de-cock) not striking the firing pin. I like to hold my thumb on the hammer when I pull the trigger to allow it to fall more slowly. Now with the safety still on try to cock the hammer. It will not. Not by hand or by pulling the trigger. And remember because your safety is on the firing pin is up and out of position of the hammer. About as safe as you are going to get if a live round were in the chamber. Next time you are at the range with a live round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on, point down range and pull the trigger. Your gun will simply "de-cock" and not fire. Now, take the safety off and either cock the hammer by hand or fire the pistol by pulling the trigger. I hate de-cockers. If you don't handle the firearm an a regular basis they can scare the hell out of the average shooter. Well, long winded and I hope I have described this correctly.

diceman3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »
Diceman, Warbird is correct. Your HSc's slide should stay open when the magazine is removed and only close when the magazine is reinstalled. I'm having the same problem with a war era HSc. I would try another magazine. But that's another issue. I'll try to explain how your safety is working. When your slide is closed and the hammer is cocked and your safety is on your hammer will drop or de-cock when you pull the trigger. To help you understand this better remove you slide. Turn it upside down. Look at the rear of the slide and you will see the back of your firing pin. Now rotate your safety from safe to fire a few times noting that when you move it to the safe position it moves your firing pin up and away from where the hammer will strike. So, with your slide back on the gun. Cock the gun and put the safety on. You have now swung the firing pin internally out of position and away from the hammer. Now pull the trigger and the hammer will fall (or de-cock) not striking the firing pin. I like to hold my thumb on the hammer when I pull the trigger to allow it to fall more slowly. Now with the safety still on try to cock the hammer. It will not. Not by hand or by pulling the trigger. And remember because your safety is on the firing pin is up and out of position of the hammer. About as safe as you are going to get if a live round were in the chamber. Next time you are at the range with a live round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on, point down range and pull the trigger. Your gun will simply "de-cock" and not fire. Now, take the safety off and either cock the hammer by hand or fire the pistol by pulling the trigger. I hate de-cockers. If you don't handle the firearm an a regular basis they can scare the hell out of the average shooter. Well, long winded and I hope I have described this correctly.

You post is very timely, as I disassembled the pistol and examined the safety just a few minutes ago.
 I now can see that when the safety is “on”, the firing pin is moved where it can not be hit by the hammer, essentially decocking the hammer.
When the safety is moved to “off”, the firing pin is in place to be struck by the hammer.
Case closed. Thanks.

diceman3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 01:57:16 PM »
Been so long, since your post, I forgot it again, and was fortunate to find your original post. Needed some range time, and the HSC is certainty an accurate pistol.
I have 3 HSCs, 2 from Interarm, and a WWII police pistol, when the quality was great ( early 704,Xxx. All beauties.