Author Topic: Bolo magazine jam  (Read 5938 times)

skizzer

• View Profile
Bolo magazine jam
« on: March 29, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
Howdy,
New to the forum and I have a late postwar Bolo that's failing to feed about 75 % of the time.  The magazine follower is jamming near the bottom of the mag, maybe 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.  I can't see any burr or obstruction in there and have disassembled the follower and spring, cleaning and oiling both.  Doesn't seem to help. 

Any suggestions?  Do I need to polish the follower, or should I try to replace it and the spring.  I suppose this is not an uncommon problem, so I would appreciate a referral to any old post that covers the issue.  Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Bolo magazine jam
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »
A new spring is a good idea. You may also want to try a thicker lube than oil, like a grease.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

skizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 11:01:56 PM »
OK, I noticed that the spring seemed to cant to one side when reinstalled, rather than going straight up.  Any suggestions on a source?  Looks like Numrich has them.

Thanks for the help.

skizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:03:43 PM »
Will also try the grease.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »
Wolf springs is where Numrich gets their springs. I would go to the source Wolfsprings.com

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

skizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
Thx, Mason.  Would certainly rather go to the source!

skizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »
A new spring is a good idea. You may also want to try a thicker lube than oil, like a grease.

Regards,

OK, I tried a fairly heavy moly grease, both on the follower and on the sides of the mag.  Didn't make any difference, still hanging-up about every time.

Noticed that there are symetrical indentations, small about 1/2 way up on the front of the mag, as well as in the rear.  The rear pits, or divots are in the slot that runs up the left side, rear, of the mag.  They almost appear like markings of some kind, but can't believe that Mauser would have put anything in there.  Haven't been able to get a clear look at them yet, but the follower seems to jam on them.  Should a C96 mag be anything other than totally smooth inside?