Author Topic: Question on my New (Old) HSC  (Read 5179 times)

golfrj1

• View Profile
Question on my New (Old) HSC
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »
Recently I was able to purchase an Old German proofed (135) HSC that dates to 1942 (Big buy as I am in Ca)..  I am replacing the springs in this pistol and ordered  the whole spring pack from Wolff  BUT they are unable to tell me the rates on the recoil or hammer springs?  I searched here and asked Wolff but to no avail..  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me..

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question on my New (Old) HSC
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »
I have no idea what the tensions are on these springs although I have never had nor heard of any problems with them.  I have to ask, why are you replacing all those springs?  Have you fired the pistol and noted problems?  Other than possibly the Recoil Spring and Magazine Spring from FTF issues, I have never heard of problems with the Mainspring or any of the others.  It's a big job if you get into it.  Curious to know your answer and would hope you share the serial number of your (new) Army HSc.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »
Totally agree with Warbird.   Now a spring in a mag can be a little weak at times, but I want to talk about your gun grips.  Take them off, if you are going to shoot it.  They are too valuable to have cracked.  Put on some cheap repos. if you are going to fire it and save those brittle originals. 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:22:18 PM by Warbird »
Jim

golfrj1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
No Reason to change other than the recoil spring and maybe hammer spring as I have no idea when (if ever) that happened before, and always like to have some spare stuff for older pistols..  I fired 50 flawless rounds of round nosed FMJ..  I have not had her talk with me YET, but am hoping to hear some stories in the future (If Only it could)!!  The s/n is 781 127.. Thanks for your reply.

ps...  is it normal to have an extremely heavy double action trigger & mag release that is Really difficult to operate?  Does Not matter to me but just inquiring.

golfrj1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »
Totally agree with Warbird.   Now a spring in a mag can be a little weak at times, but I want to talk about your gun grips.  Take them off, if you are going to shoot it.  They are too valuable to have cracked.  Put on some cheap repos. if you are going to fire it and save those brittle originals. 

Jim

Thanks for the heads up on the grips..

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing, golfrj1.  You didn't ask but your Early Wartime Army HSc was produced in July 1942 as part of a large run of Army pistols.

Yes ... the Magazine Release can be hard to push because it is held by the Mainspring (what you call the Hammer Spring) and the Magazine Spring.  It sometimes helps to push up on the Magazine while pulling the Release back.

Anything else, let me know.

Jim:  Gave you an "Applaud" for the Grip note.  I forgot all about it and you are absolutely right!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:40:33 PM by Warbird »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
Thank you,  I appreciate that very much. 

Jim
Jim