Author Topic: Slide Lock problem  (Read 8048 times)

c0bra

• View Profile
Slide Lock problem
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
Hi everybody! I am a lucky owner of a Mauser HSC that I was able to identify as a 1943 army pistol (Serial 819XXX).
First of all I would like to thanks everybody in this forum because of the passion and the effort that you all put to help others and do research.
Now my question. My Mauser HSC has an unusual behaviour: when I have no more cartridges in the magazine the slide stays open (as expected).As I extract the magazine, the slide close instantly. If I try to reopen it sometimes stays open and sometimes not.Does anyone have experience with the same problem?I dismounted the gun and tried to trace back the issue.Is it normal that when the magazine is inserted and there are no cartridges the slide lock by hitting the back of the magazine?I guess the problem is related to the ejector (Magazine Safety): if I gently touch it without pushing to any side the slide close (magazine removed).I am not able to understand if the problem is caused by a worn ejector, a damaged slide and  how to proceed to fix the gun.
Thanks to everybody that will try to help me.Francesco.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slide Lock problem
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »

67raregt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
Years ago I had the same problem with a aftermarket mag with a plastic follower. The slide would stay open after the last shot but when I tried to remove the mag it was very hard. When I was able to pull it out the slide would close. The factory mag has never done this once. After comparing it with the factory mag and taking different measurements I found up to a .030 difference in some measurements. I also found using a dial indicator that the body was a bit of a parallelogram by about .008 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelogram

Are you using the factory magazine?

c0bra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
As far as I know I have a factory mag: it has a metal follower and "MAUSER" stamped on the bottom.Warbird, your explanation on the other post was illuminating: I removed the magazine safety and I discovered it was bent.I will try to find a replacement for that, even if most gun parts stores doesn't ship to Italy.Thanks for your help. I will keep you updated.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »
Glad it could help, Francesco.  Just be sure you look for a WWII vintage Magazine Safety.  Other vintage will not work.  Meanwhile, you could try to remodel your Magazine Safety to work correctly and be sure not to lose that small Spring in the rear.

c0bra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:57:20 AM »
I couldn't find any WWII Magazine Safety, are they completely different or I might try to adapt a post bellic part in my gun?Thanks

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:40:06 AM »
Watch eBay and GunBroker auctions.  HSc parts are listed all the time.  Good luck:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=mauser+hsc&rt=nc&_dmd=2
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=HSc

c0bra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
I will keep searching. Thanks for the hint.

c0bra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »
Okay, news here.
I was able to find a WWII Magazine Safety at a gun store 50km from where I live.I just mounted it and discovered that the problem was not only caused by the bent magazine safety: the slide is also a little worn in the point where the mag safety hits.Problem not fixed yet. My gunsmith suggested me to heat up the mag safety and slightly bend it towards the slide. You think it might work? I don't want to change the slide, it's very hard, legally speaking, to buy one in Italy as it's like buying a new gun and it would compromise my Mauser authenticity.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
Your original Magazine Safety was bent and did not work.  Why would you expect bending your new Safety to work?  The original bent Safety could have been the reason the Slide cutout was worn.  I would suggest leaving everything as is since any further modification could ruin the pistol's collectability and therefore its value.

Finally, by replacing the Slide you would lose one of the matching serial numbers and also destroying its value.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:21:17 PM by Warbird »

c0bra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
The Safety was bent toward the magazine and it was probably the cause of the damage in the Slide cutout.The problem in the cutout doesn't seem very big,  without the magazine sometimes the slide lock and sometimes it doesn't.
In my opinion bending the safety towards the cutout would make the pin more likely to lock correctly, but maybe I am wrong.
Thank you for your help Warbird.

c0bra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »
Okay, I dismounted again the gun.I apologize for what I just said!I misunderstood how the slide lock works: I thought that the pin was not long enough to lock inside the cutout.
The pin is perfectly inside the coutout but one of the coutout edges is worn, like rounded.When the recoil spring push the pin against this worn edge the safety falls down and the slide close.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
Francesco, would it be possible to get a very small file (jeweler's file) into the cutout and square it off to a certain extent.  If it is possible, file a small amount and try the Safety with a Magazine.  This may be a slow process but could work without compromising the pistol's value.

c0bra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
Seems like a great idea to me! I will surely give it a try, in the right environment. I have a friend that is a goldsmith, I will ask him for help and tools. Thanks for the hint! I will keep you updated
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:01:27 PM by c0bra »