Author Topic: My Model 1914 Weimar Era Police Issue  (Read 5550 times)

bigbore44

• View Profile
My Model 1914 Weimar Era Police Issue
« on: April 04, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
With great thanks to Geert45 and Mr. Mason my model 1914 is now running like a fine Swiss watch.
This Mauser Model 1914 (fourth variant) was produced in late 1928. The S.P. above L. inscribed on the front grip strap indicates it was issued to the Schutzpolizei (uniformed police force) in the urban district (Kreisfreie Städte State) of Leipzig (S.P.= Schutzpolizei  L.= Leipzig) in the Free State of Saxony, during the Weimar Republic.

This gun, including it’s serial numbered magazine, is original and in remarkably nice condition.  It retains most of it’s rust blue finish and the fire blued parts (takedown rod face, extractor, safety lever and release button, grip screws and trigger) still show beautiful gloss.  It’s numbers match (slide, frame, barrel lug, bottom of the side plate ).  The checkered walnut, wraparound grips are perfect with no chips or cracks and the bore is shiny with good rifling.

The magazine is original as issued with the pistol and modified by Leipzig police in 1928.  The pistol’s full serial number is stamped on the lower left side of the body and, on the bottom of the floor plate.  (Both body and floorplate also have a large Roman numeral I indicating it was one of two magazines issued with the pistol.  Spare magazines had a Roman numeral II.) It has no import marks.   What's not to like.  Except my lousy photos which fail to capture the nice finish,  :-)
[size=78%][/size]

[size=78%][/size]

[size=78%][/size]

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:35:25 PM by bigbore44 »

geert45

• View Profile
Re: My Model 1914 Weimar Era Police Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:17:44 AM »
You welcom, a nice pistol, but  the honor goes to Mr Burgess Mason. Since I know him I've learned a lot from him.
Regards,
Geert

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 12:27:13 AM »
That is a really nice looking 1914 police gun. I was hoping people were not going to notice the police markings and that I was going to be able to snag it but unfortunately for me several others did notice. Congrats

bigbore44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:23:08 AM »
That is a really nice looking 1914 police gun. I was hoping people were not going to notice the police markings and that I was going to be able to snag it but unfortunately for me several others did notice. Congrats
Hey, pardt.  Thanks for your comments.  And, as to the bidding on 'GB, your comment defines perfectly what my thoughts were when I saw the listing.  "Wow! No mention of the police markings and only visible on one photo.  Maybe I can snag this on the cheap."  Alas, no such luck.  Too many sharp eyed collectors out there.

My collection, until a little over a year ago, consisted strictly of WWII military issued handguns.  Then, beginning with an addition of a somewhat scarce, Mauser C96 with both the Erfurt Imperial acceptance stamp and a 1917 Austrian Imperial Army acceptance stamp,  I've added a few WWI examples.  That's why I was watching GB.  I was looking for a WWI Imperial German Army accepted Mauser Model 1914 which is how I saw and came to bid on the one pictured above.  (I thought it would compliment my most recent buy, this neat Berlin Police marked Dreyse Model 1907, made in 1911.)  :-)

[size=78%][/size][/size][size=78%]  [/size]

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
Very Nice Dreyse as well. It appears you have good taste in handguns. They can get very addictive