Author Topic: Shenanigans with grips and pistols  (Read 8662 times)

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Shenanigans with grips and pistols
« on: July 20, 2019, 11:15:42 PM »
Slightly discouraging to see, but I think it's underhanded. Pre98 Has changed the grips from one late 1914 to a different late 1914. I emailed them asking what the story was. No reply so far

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Shenanigans with grips and pistols
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 11:19:21 PM »
The pistol that had the grips on it originally is now just listed as a transitional 1914/34

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
Val, Great catch. I have found dealers to be dealers. They are out to make a buck and some are willing to commit fraud to do it. It seems that there is little repercussion to fleecing buyers and there are some buyers who are in it for profit and not because they have an interest in history or what they collect. To them it is an alternative stock market and they trust dealers because they are not familiar with what they are buying. Sometimes, when confronted with the truth these investors will not accept that there example has been boosted preferring to believe what their dealer told them. This is a facet of collectable firearms that is rarely brought to light or discussed which helps to perpetuate it.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:43:15 AM »
Val, Did the grips change from plain to DR(Railway) marked and then were they changed back? These "DR" marked grip is something that has recently turned up. I saw an example of them a year or two ago on another dealers site then another one, or the same one, turned up on Pre98's site. It is curious to me that it had not shown up before. I am also curious as to province of the marking as it is unique as a marking as far as I know. It is a very large mark burned into the grip which is unusual.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
Originally they appeared on pistol serial # 485,611. Then a week or so ago it was not listed at all . Now they are on the pistol 494,332 and the plain grips are on serial 485,611 which is still for sale but at a much reduced price
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:21:26 PM by pardt »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
Ok, Well I have started a thread on Stills forum about the marking. I have some doubts about it being genuine. I also spoke to the dealer who sold the pistol to the current dealer. The original pistol showed wear on the sideplate. So, I think shenanigans could be a very nice description of what is going on. Buyer beware!

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
I followed the discussion on the Luger forum and thought there was some good information that was shared. Ultimately I  wish the dealer kept them on the original pistol as now even though it's not far away serial number wise the next set of collectors won't know that it's not original to that pistol

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
So now 485,611 is a Japanese contract pistol.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 02:29:40 PM »
My, my, it does get around. It is good to know who you can trust and perhaps better to know who you cannot.

Regards,
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:44:01 PM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

retropox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
The same dealer bought a 1913 Sauer with Imperial German proof from the only shop in my little town.  The shop owner is a friend and dedicated collector.

The Sauer appeared on pre98 as a "fascinating well documented history ...bringback from a Jewish vet in the original holster".

There was no vet, Jewish or otherwise, and the pistol had no holster.
A name was was even given for the GI, and 4 accompanying "letter of authentication".

100% made up story.  Pure fraud.  Generated $1000 bucks over the gun only sale price by my local shop.

retropox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
oh.  I have screenshots of the whole affair.