Author Topic: Early 1934 Naval Pistol Marking  (Read 5480 times)

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Early 1934 Naval Pistol Marking
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
I am curious on other thoughts about this one. The marking seems quite out of sequence as this would be near the end of the droop wing eagle marking. It's also marked different way than the 5-6 other examplrs I know of including my own.
But I am always looking for other opinions and to expand my knowledge https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838758204

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Early 1934 Naval Pistol Marking
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
There are many anomalies among the KM marked Mauser pocket models. There are also many faked markings. These early Eagle/M markings are not that common but I have not seen a faked one that I know of. The fakers have usually replicated the Eagle/S/M markings. If well done a really good fake would be hard to catch which is probably why they are a target for fraud. I would recommend to tread carefully if a collector has decided to pursue collecting KM marked examples. Without a in hand exam and knowledge of other like markings it would be hard for me to pay top dollar for it. The over all condition is much better than most KM marked examples I have seen but???

Regards,   
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »
I wont be a buyer for this one as its going price far exceeds my budget at the moment. but its interesting to get other opinions. its a minefield to collect for sure. I already have this variation in my collection which is nice and I bought it advertised as a common 1914.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
I think we both saw it about the same time. It looks like Mr. Summers will get it but it will be interesting to watch the auction. I too have a Eagle/M example. Mine is a bit earlier in the 400,000 range. It is what I call a 1914/34 transitional, MAUSER WERKE... address but with a straight grip. I have noted that there are 2 different early Eagle/M type eagles that were followed by the large Eagle/M marking. The German Navy marked Mauser pockets are an interesting study. It is a shame that because of the premiums that will be paid to acquire a nice example, nice commercial examples are altered. A collector has to be wary of any Navy marked examples because of it.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

gebirg

• Trusted Contributor
  • If not a Mauser, then what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 03:32:43 AM »
Here is a good one!
Pay attention!

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 11:46:47 AM »
Please pardon the messenger. I would have so real concerns over the marking on this example. Both magazines have an "X" and the font seems slightly different. The Eagle has some issues to my eye as well. Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small