Author Topic: “Wartime Commercial” C96 & holster... thoughts?  (Read 4599 times)

mateo5594

• View Profile
“Wartime Commercial” C96 & holster... thoughts?
« on: November 16, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
Hey folks! I’m a first time poster/long time lurker, and would like y’all’s thoughts on a broomhandle I just got. 

I got the pistol from an accomplished painter, whose dad was an accomplished sculptor. The story with this pistol is the grandfather brought it back from WWI, and in 1920 put it in a bank safety deposit box. The grandfather died in 1932, so the grandmother kept it in the safety deposit box until she died.  The gun was passed down to the previous owner’s mom, who just recently died and passed it on to the owner, who is almost 70 years old.  I was able to get a signed letter explaining the story of this gun from the artist with some pictures of the grandfather in WWI. I thought that was kind a neat... anyways.

Pistol came back from WWI with a leather holster (was not stored in the holster thank goodness), and I can’t find any info on it. The holster does not have any markings on it at all.  Does someone have any information on this type a holster?

Also, all numbers match, except the grips. The last three of the serial number on the gun is 048, but the grips are 046. I think they are period correct for the “wartime commercial” and they fit perfectly.  Could this have been a mistake at the Mauser factory?  Any thoughts on this?

I’m also anxious to get folks his opinion on this pistol. Any criticism is appreciated.

Thanks and take care! Matt
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:13:30 AM by mateo5594 »

mateo5594

• View Profile
Re: “Wartime Commercial” C96 & holster... thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 06:13:43 PM »
More pics...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:15:33 PM by mateo5594 »

mateo5594

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 06:17:54 PM »
More pics...

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 06:25:09 AM »
Matt,

It is a very nice example. The grip SNs is a bit confusing but it was made while a war was going on.If you believe the story it would be unlikely that they were replaced. Can you post a picture of the right side of the chamber? The holster appears period correct. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on holsters will comment.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

mateo5594

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I’m wondering if the person numbering grips saw the double stamp on back of the pistol and thought it was a 6. The pic shows it kinda looks like a 6. Oh well, here are some more pics...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:18:04 AM by mateo5594 »

fred klinknagel

• Trusted Contributor
  • in the workshop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »
Great story and very nice pistol .