Author Topic: 1970s vintage Interarms Mauser HSc jam-omatic?  (Read 4875 times)

LRRifleman

• View Profile
1970s vintage Interarms Mauser HSc jam-omatic?
« on: July 08, 2020, 06:16:09 PM »
Greetings!

I have just entered the world of Mauser pistols with the acquisition of a 1970s vintage Interarms Mauser HSc 380. Appearance-wise, I would rate it at a solid 95%, possibly higher. It came with two Mauser magazines, and I purchased a third in the hope that this pistol would be reliable enough for CCW.

On the first range trip, to say that I was disappointed with the pistol's functioning is an understatement. With the magazines loaded with 7rounds, I experienced a combination of FTE and FTF, I can't be certain which occurred first. Often, the S&B FMJ ammo nose-dived, preventing the slide from going into battery. When I downloaded the magazines to just 6 rounds, I had a bit more reliable ejection, but about every third round, I experienced a nose-dive FTF.

When I returned home, I attempted to diagnose why the pistol didn't function reliably. In disassembling the magazines, I found that each spring was bent up at a different location on the top coil, and seemed to create an inconsistent fulcrum. I had read a number of posts on the net suggesting that others with similar issues were able to improve reliability by replacing the magazine springs. As a result, I ordered a set of+5% springs from Wolff, which arrived today.

Has anyone here ever experienced a similar issue with their HScs? If so, how did you correct this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rapidrob

• View Profile
Re: 1970s vintage Interarms Mauser HSc jam-omatic?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:24:47 AM »
Any semi-auto pistol of the older generations can have this sort of problems with the magazines spring or the feed lips.If the round is stripped from the mag too soon it will stove pipe. If too late it may "nose dive"A FTE can be caused by a too strong recoil spring causing a Short Stroke. A weak wrist hold on the pistol can also cause this.These pistols were designed to shoot a military loading of the cartridge. A lighter or heavier bullet can sometimes cause a problem as well.A "Lawyer-Load" will cause problems due to their weakness.Lugers come to mind as they need the heavier 124 grain bullet at German specs in order to prevent stove piping problems. Their mag springs are very strong and Luger holsters carried a loading tool to overcome the much stronger mag springs force.
Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
NM MILSURPS

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 03:17:09 PM »
How are your magazines marked on the bottom plate?
Jim

DrDKW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 06:43:20 AM »
My Interarms HSc has similar problems, plus a very uncomfortable recoil.
My wartime 7.65 version is much better, though it's a struggle to remove the original mag and the slide won't stay open during mag removal.
A spare 7.65 mag I found online removes properly and allows the slide to stay locked back, but I haven't tested this mag with live ammo yet.

I read the .380 HSc are tempermental. But I'm not terribly disappointed, as I had no plans for either HSc to be my 'carry-gun'.

Happy Motoring,  Mark