Author Topic: Large Ring Hammer in 9mm  (Read 3343 times)

vietvet191

• View Profile
Large Ring Hammer in 9mm
« on: October 03, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
Brand new to the forum, discovered it by accident.  Have been collecting Mausers for quite a few years.Recently acquired a Large Ring C96 chambered in 9x19.  I knew Mauser made the Large Ring in 9mm but I thought it was only in 9x25.  Shortly after buying the pistol I saw another Lrg. Ring in 9x19 on an online auction.My question is do I have a re bored C96, or do I have a very rare C96.  My guess is the former rather than the later.If it is re bored, whoever did it did a very good job.  I was firing 6" groups at 75 yrds with the stock.

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Large Ring Hammer in 9mm
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 11:05:05 AM »
Could be one of the 1980s Chinese rebuilds.
Does it have a removeable magazine?

vietvet191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 06:21:07 PM »
No.  Has the standard 10 magazine.  All numbers match, even the grips.  It's in the 31xxx range.The only real problem with it is some serious rust under the grips.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »
vietvet191, Your LRH C96, with serial number in the 31,000 range falls in the range of C96s that had a good deal of variation, if its a Mauser made C96. 9 x 19 mm chambering is not one of them. Your description of "serious rust under the grips" does indicate it is one of the thousands that were imported from China. Though the majority of these were M1930 models there were also many early and rare model variations that came in during the importation. Many of these examples had seriously rusted grip loops and very poor bores and were re-lined to 9mm. There is also the possibility that it is a Chinese made copy of the C96. A picture will tell the tale if you can post some it will help us tell you what you have.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

vietvet191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 12:19:20 AM »
1914mauser.  I'm afraid my photographic skills leave a great deal to be desired.  I tried to get some decent photos with the camera I have and was not successful.The pistol has the usual Mauser markings and proof marks so I think it is a Mauser.  I also think it is probably a Chinese import.  Regardless, I'm satisfied with the pistol.  As I stated in the original message, I was just wondering if Mauser made a LRH in 9x19.  You answered that question.On a different note, I have a couple of model 1914s, and I love them.  Mine are in 7.65.  In the summer they are my preferred carry.  They fit very nicely in my pants pocket.  I know most people say 7.65 is too small for personal protection.  But to quote a line in an old movie:  If you know where to aim it, it'll stop them.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »
I agree. Even a well placed .22 can be terminal.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small