Author Topic: Shooting an Older HSc  (Read 4616 times)

Biker86

Shooting an Older HSc
« on: September 08, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
Hi, I'm new here but have been enjoying reading all the posts on Mauser pistols.

Recently I picked up a very nice late-war commercial HSc for my collection of WWII pistols. While I didn't buy it as a 'shooter' I wanted to see if functioned properly. Well, it shot fine, but when I went to reload it after shooting the first magazine I noticed a fairly large chunk (about one-half by one inch) was missing from the front of the left grip....  >:(

Fortunately I had been standing on a paved surface and after some searching I found the missing piece. I have carefully reattached it with epoxy but there is a barely noticeable crack where it was broken. If I come across a good deal on an unbroken original left grip I will probably buy it.

My point of telling this story is to advise caution when firing a collectable HSc. The grips are known to be fragile. If you plan to shoot one of the old ones with wooden grips, it might be a good idea to put on a post-war replacement set before doing so. I wish I had done that... Or just not fired it at all.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:14:01 PM by Biker86 »