Author Topic: Nickel model 1914  (Read 4558 times)

buckup

• View Profile
Nickel model 1914
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:09:23 PM »
I recently acquired a model 1914 second variant. I’m trying to get some info on this. It is nickel plated with walnut grips. The nickel plated finish appears to be factory and is in excellent condition as is the rest of the gun. I’ve not had any luck at my local gun shop in finding out much about it including value.  Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:57:20 PM by buckup »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Nickel model 1914
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:22:57 AM »
If you can explain what you mean by "second variant" or better yet provide the serial number I should be able to tell you something about it. The nickel finish is most likely not original. Knowing exactly what you have will help determine if it could possibly be a factory finish. Pictures would be helpful as well.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

buckup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »
The serial number is 8802. I’ll try to modify the picture file as it says it is too large to post.

buckup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »
See attached picture

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
Yes, you are correct it is a second model variation. I refer to these as 1914 early production. It is believed these were made in 1913. These followed the Humpback variation which were preproduction or prototypes. Approximately 10,000 of this second model variation were made. I have yet to see one that was factory nickel plated. There are examples of the Sidelatch .25 caliber model that were factory nickel plated and were produced before or around the same time as yours. These second model variations are pre WWI produced thus made for commercial consumption. Because of these 2 facts, a factory nickel finish cannot be ruled out. To verify it being an actual factory original finish would require an in hand inspection by someone with knowledge of period nickel finishes. It would be very exciting to have it verified as factory original. If it is you are to be congratulations on acquiring a rare example.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

buckup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »
Thank you for your help! I’m excited to find out the history on this pistol. I’ve had a couple of people look at it and both agreed it appeared to be a factory finish. I’ll keep digging on it. I saw one post on another forum that estimated special order with nickel finish was in the neighborhood of one in 5000. If true, with only about 10,000 made, it would be extremely rare indeed!!! If you are able to come up with anything else, please let me know! Thank you again!

daveinsvaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
I also have a nickel plated 1914, this one i 7.65 (32 APC). Serial number is 548856.
The finish is beautiful, the Mauser banner and lettering is not polished away. The only think I see wrong with the finish is a tiny blemish in the nickel finish I cannot believe the Mauser factory would have let out.
Will furnish photo's later...