Author Topic: Broomhadle prusian contract?  (Read 2985 times)

Heliflier603

• View Profile
Broomhadle prusian contract?
« on: March 17, 2021, 07:55:37 PM »
Hi. I'm a new member that came across this interesting forum.
I've purchased a Broomhandle on auction that had a designation being 7.63 caliber. I found out it is actually 9mm.
As you can see the grips are not original although they appear to be on this gun for a very very long time.It is not a China bored and sleeved 9mm version. Bore has rifling and no apparent sleeve. It is fairly low number so the auctioneer must have think it is early Mauser. But each contract started from 1.
Could anyone of you forum experts confirm what it is? All numbers mach. Even on the bottom of the magazine plate and all internal components.
Thank you!

Heliflier603

• View Profile
Re: Broomhadle prusian contract?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »
More pics.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 10:54:27 AM »
First, please pardon the messenger. I am fairly certain you have a Chinese copy of a Mauser C96 and I think they were using a Red-9 as a model. The tells are as follows: the dovetail front sight, the crude machining in the milled panels & the grip checkering. I hope you did not pay too much. These Chinese copies are a special market and usually less than half the value of an original.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Heliflier603

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »
Didn't they sleeve the barrel? I have seen copies from China and the quality of machining (besides someone trying to polish the mill marks from side panels) on this gun looks too good for china copy. Their stamped lettering looks like crap compare to one on this. Beside I'm sure they didn't bother to put all marks on their guns. Doubt they would even stamped ser. numbers on anything.This gun has all the serial numbers even inside the bottom plate and internal components. Dovetailed front sight could be reworked. It even has proper sights 50-500. China usually put 1000m sights didn't they?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 10:18:10 AM »
I am not here to argue. I would suggest posting your pictures on Jan Still's luger forum (Jan C. Still Lugerforums) if you want more opinions. It is not a typical, re-lined, M-30, Chinese import. I am saying it was made in China, a copy. Chinese copies are in a wide range of quality from poor to excellent. I am only telling you what I see.

Regards,
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:20:28 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small