Author Topic: C96 identity please  (Read 3048 times)

scanman1

• View Profile
C96 identity please
« on: December 03, 2021, 06:52:28 PM »
Hello, new member here so forgive me if this has been covered ad nauseam. I was at a gun show the last week and saw a c96 Mauser. The serial number is 134812 which (maybe) dates the piece around 1913. The thing about it is; the plates on the left and right sides have been cut out to display the inner mechanisms working. Further, the barrel has a notch cut out right underneath the flat on the barrel which says waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf a/f. That really stinks because the cut-out is right where the serial number should be on the barrel. As if this wasn't weird enough, the front of the magazine has strange Chinese markings. The barrel is 5 1/2 inches long. Looks to be 7.63x25. The fellow at the show told me that it would not fire. Mostly due to the notch cut out of the barrel. He also said it was NOT a salesman copy. Apparently, some were skeletonized to display the inner workings. Have you any idea what this might be?  Has some hobbyist gone crazy? I thought it might be kind of cool but the $800 dollar price tag put me off. Enclosed are some photos. Can anyone here read Chinese? Thank you.

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: C96 identity please
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 09:45:41 PM »
interesting .i couldnt do that to a c96 .there is a guy on jan still luger forum who does read chinses look under non luger topics

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 09:58:18 PM »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 08:36:09 AM »
Scanman, I can't help with the Asian characters. There were many cut-a-way C96s made from Chinese imports in the 1970s. I believe that is what you have. Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

scanman1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
Thank you for the information. It looked pretty cool although I couldn't understand why anyone would do that to a perfectly good c96.