Author Topic: Trying to find a pistol  (Read 3825 times)

Matt85

• View Profile
Trying to find a pistol
« on: January 21, 2022, 02:13:53 AM »
Hello all, I'm hoping the fine people on this forum can help me with a task my father has set me on. My dad has asked me to find him a nice collector grade C96 pistol. While he does want the ability to shoot the gun, it will serve primarily as an investment/display pistol and won't be fired much.

He is looking for a good condition, unrestored pistol, that has military acceptance markings. Numbers need to be matching and of course the shoulder stock must be in good condition.

Now I have been doing a bit of reading and watching videos on the subject but, am far from knowledgeable when it comes to military surplus. But it seems like most/all of the pistols on gunbroker and gunsinternational are either incomplete, non-matching, or have been restored.  Do you have any suggestions on where I might be able to find a pistol for my dad?

thank you
-matt

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:53:18 AM »
I am replying because I doubt you will get many replies to your question. Your are asking collectors to help you find the same things they hunt for and collect. It sounds like you have done some research, though you may have some uncertainty in making a decision involving a serious amount of money. In todays market you need to know what you are looking for will most likely cost in the $3000-5000+ range. From your description you are lookin for a Imperial accepted Wartime commercial or a Red-9 with a matching stock. Both of these are high demand variations and a matching stock adds a high premium. Of the 2 the Red-9 is in higher demand. For either you will need to know what to look for to know what is correct. The auction sites are a good place to hunt and there are a few dealers who handle these collectable examples. Caveat emptor not all dealers are reputable and some are just ignorant. I wish you luck in your search. I would suggest that no one is going to hand you a prize out of the goodness of their heart or help you with your hunt without compensation. Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Matt85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 11:29:58 AM »
Thank you for responding! You will have to forgive me, collecting military firearms is foreign to me. My only experience with collectable firearms is with classic dangerous game hunting guns.

We did some research on pricing and are comfortable with paying the going rate for a nice gun. The problem is really just finding a pistol that isn't restored/modified. If people aren't likely to help me find one here, then can you recommend someone who can?

Thank you
-matt

puffnstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 03:34:41 PM »
Simpson limited sells some nice guns, you should check their website out. I bought a Red 9 off them a while ago and its a really nice pistol.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 04:26:05 PM »
Red-9s are an area buyers need to be certain of before committing to purchase. One thing that one should be aware of is the difference between a war used Red-9 and a post war Finnish contract. If the serial number is above 100,000 and the Imperial acceptance marking is missing, it is a post war Red-9. Regards, 
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

puffnstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 04:58:58 PM »
Red-9s are an area buyers need to be certain of before committing to purchase. One thing that one should be aware of is the difference between a war used Red-9 and a post war Finnish contract. If the serial number is above 100,000 and the Imperial acceptance marking is missing, it is a post war Red-9. Regards,

My Red 9 has a serial number of 10809 with no Prussian eagle mark, does this mean its a pre-war? Also what's the difference between post-war Finnish and a war used one?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 08:21:18 AM »
At the end of WWI Mauser had only delivered around 100,000 of the Red-9s ordered. The ones not delivered were sent/sold to Finland. Possibly some kind of war reparations. Others were sold and exported. Many of the ones' Simpsons have sold recently are ones sent to Finland as was stated in their listing. These postwar Red-9s are usually in better condition than a delivered war used Red_9. These examples. will not have an acceptance marking on the right side of the chamber. None will have the Prussian eagle. There are no prewar Red-9s. Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

Matt85

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 10:49:19 AM »
Simpson limited sells some nice guns, you should check their website out. I bought a Red 9 off them a while ago and its a really nice pistol.

Thanks for the heads up, they look like they have a pretty nice selection. Ill look at them with my dad and see if he likes anything.

-matt

puffnstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 02:43:57 PM »
At the end of WWI Mauser had only delivered around 100,000 of the Red-9s ordered. The ones not delivered were sent/sold to Finland. Possibly some kind of war reparations. Others were sold and exported. Many of the ones' Simpsons have sold recently are ones sent to Finland as was stated in their listing. These postwar Red-9s are usually in better condition than a delivered war used Red_9. These examples. will not have an acceptance marking on the right side of the chamber. None will have the Prussian eagle. There are no prewar Red-9s. Regards,

Sorry, not prewar, i meant produced during WWI. So does this proof mark mean this was a war production pistol?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 02:54:46 PM by puffnstuff »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 09:20:02 AM »
No, that is the proof mark. The Imperial acceptance mark is a Gothic letter on the other, right side of the chamber.

This is an example of a Red-9 that was never delivered. Note the lack of an acceptance on right side of the chamber.
Also it is marked "Made in Germany" by the proof mark. The stock matches but the leather harness is war issue.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922474968

Matt, another good dealer with some C-96s is https://www.handgunsoftheworld.com/page/page/4114971.htm

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small