Author Topic: New to me C96 with odd features... Help  (Read 2998 times)

Frazer1

• View Profile
New to me C96 with odd features... Help
« on: April 21, 2022, 12:55:16 PM »
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a C96 that was described as pre-war commercial, serial number 41201 in 7.63 Mauser cal.  I noticed it has a New Safety (NS) so it has to be later manufacture, perhaps war-time commercial.  The serial number stampings appear factory original, so I am convinced it's not a mix master gun. The upper receiver, magazine floorplate, frame, lock frame, NS hammer, internal sear , and locking block, and slide bolt stop and CHECKERED walnut grips all are number matched in the same size and font as numerous other guns I've examined. The magazine follower is not numbered (like a war-time commercial gun).  I am confused about the pre-war serial number and other much later features.

I was browsing this forum and found a post from 2015 where another forum member posted pics of a gun very similar to mine with serial number 41769 and with the NS.  WIth such a close serial number to mine and with a NS, I wonder if this is some kind of contract gun.  I would like to hear some opinions about what I have.  I haven't started on the threaded barrel and drift  adjustable dovetail front sight. ( barrel numbered to the gun).

Thanks for looking!

Frazer1

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: New to me C96 with odd features... Help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 07:30:21 AM »
Frazer, I would tend to agree that you have an unusual C96. The serial number is pre-WWI though a NS hammer would indicate war time production. I do not think it a special contract SN as the range is too high. I have seen references of examples with threaded barrels and have also seen examples with checkered wood grips. There are a few things that give me pause, like the lack of fire blue on certain parts and what appears to be pitting under the blue. This could be a creation of a master gunsmith to appear to be something else. I am not willing to commit to even conjecture on what it may be. Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Frazer1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 11:17:57 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.  I'm ok with the idea this is a refinish, and that the barrel is a replacement. Im just unsure about the safety NS  and the earlier serial number. I have seen another pistol just like mine a few hundred numbers away from mine, and a fellow on Jan Stiil's form has one with the same characteristics but serial number in the 10000 range.

Thanks again.

Frazer1

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 08:43:33 AM »
The problem is to establish who ordered it, who rebuilt it, etc...

Mauser was notoriously sloppy when it came to issuing and registering C96 serial numbers. Many orders and smaller contracts were numbered in their own ranges and no records of those have survived (or found thusfar).

There are Mauser order books that survived, but these only list the order amount and not the serial numbers produced.

The New Safety was introduced in 1915, but it is difficult to tell if the gun with this serial number was built before or after 1915 and if the NS lockwork is a later addition.

Frazer1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 02:53:22 PM »
Hi,

I'm still learning about Mauser pistols. I have better knowledge of P38 and P08 pistols. My understanding is there are 3 different sets of lockwork in the C96 range: the original safety, the new safety and the universal safety. I think i read that they each have unique parts and a unique "carrier" that fits in to the frame. Would later lockwork carriers fit into an earlioer frame?

Thanks,
John Frazer

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 10:23:27 AM »
Yes.

I owned and shot a wartime commercial with a replacement NS lockwork.

The NS is just as dangerous as the old one.