Author Topic: 1910/14 magazine question  (Read 2088 times)

JDM

• View Profile
1910/14 magazine question
« on: June 26, 2023, 07:24:49 PM »
Hello folks. I’m new here.. Apparently (so I’ve been told) gotten myself a bit hooked on WW2 and older pistols. Collection is up to about 15 now. I only have 2 Mauser’s in the bunch but they have quickly become a couple of my favorites. My goal is to completely strip down each pistol for inspection, cleaning, lubricating, and re-spring, with the ultimate goal of taking them to the range. I’m about 1/3 of the way through the collection and focusing on the Mauser’s now.
I have a very specific question about my 1910/14. This one appears to be a 2nd variant of the 2nd type.  It’s a 6.35mm. Serial number 318xxx. My magazine catch spring has broken right where you push at the thumb point. I have a friend who’s a gunsmith for the local Sheriff’s Dept. Ironically he’s also a professional welder on the side. Sure enough, he welded it. Said it was like performing surgery! He even re-tempered the steel. Problem is it looks a little different now and I’m not sure if it’s holding the magazine at the proper depth in the frame. When I insert the magazine to the catch point there is still some room remaining under tension in the frame. Approximately 30 thousandths. Can someone please tell me what’s a normal amount of tensioned play between the catch point and the fully inserted point? Hopefully pics will help explain. I found an aftermarket spring catch at Jack First but it’s expensive, not sure if it will fit, and obviously not original.
Thank you,
JDM

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 1910/14 magazine question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »
Your best bet is to find a replacement from a doner .25 in close serial number to your example. Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

JDM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 07:59:49 AM »
Thanks, that would obviously be ideal. Not an easy find unfortunately.

JDM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 11:03:09 AM »
Does anyone here happen to have a similar 1910/14? If so I’d like to know the proper mag clearance at the catch please. Thanks!

!tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 12:19:13 PM »
On mine it's fully engaged. There is no clearance. The angle of where the catch holds the magazine ensures the magazine is held fully engaged in the handle.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 12:27:13 PM by !tom »

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 02:14:39 PM »
Looks like your spring itself is riding a little low, it may have been installed incorrectly. It needs to go higher up in the frame.

!tom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 01:14:34 PM »
Was this response directed at me with my picture or the original post?

If at me, I was wondering if this might be contributing to my feeding issues. I'm not sure the procedure to get the catch to the correct location other than having it seat in the frame (which mine is).