Author Topic: Jamming Issues  (Read 1702 times)

!tom

• View Profile
Jamming Issues
« on: March 14, 2023, 09:21:00 PM »
I managed to spend some time at the range on the weekend and went through a 50 cnt box of ammo.

I experienced several jams, and they appeared to fall into two categories.

• Not feeding correctly when inserting the magazine due to cartridge misalignment
  • Not feeding correctly when inserting the magazine due to binding

I believe the cartridge misalignment issue may be related to the upper lip of the magazine, and I believe the other feeding issue was caused by the slide binding.

I believe loading 8 rounds instead of 9 might help with the misalignment issue, and the binding issue seemed to only happen after I got more than half way through the box. I think there might have just been a bit more carbon buildup causing more friction in the action than there should be.

I've given the slide a good clean, and although it was smooth before, it seems to move a little more freely than it did before. Perhaps that's all it takes.

Are there any tips on exactly tuning the lips on the magazine? Maybe some critical dimensions? I'm not sure how much of a possibility obtaining a replacement would be, especially given the recent moves by the Canadian government.

!tom

• View Profile
Re: Jamming Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 04:00:08 AM »
I had some success.

I purchased a replacement set of springs. After installing them, there was minor improvement in the operation, but the biggest issue seemed to be failure to eject the casing correctly, causing jamming issues.

I removed the extractor from the slide and gave the mechanism a very thorough clean. I was able to shoot the entire first clip without any issues at all!

However, problems started to happen more and more after that. The most common issue I had at the end of a box of ammo was not having the firing pin cocked after shooting a round.

I'm going to try some different lubrication next time to see if that helps. However, the biggest issue I was having before seemed to be not ejecting properly, and that has been solved with that thorough extractor mechanism cleaning.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 04:02:38 AM by !tom »

!tom

• View Profile
Re: Jamming Issues
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 01:08:47 PM »
I disassembled my Mauser further than I had ever before, including removing the magazine retainer. This got me thinking that perhaps the installed height of the magazine might affect the feeding mechanism.

Is this a tuning option? Any guidance on how high the magazine should be for optimal feeding? It looks like there might be 1/16" or so adjustment available.