Author Topic: Questions on early phosphate HSCs  (Read 13053 times)

Biker86

Questions on early phosphate HSCs
« on: November 01, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »
I'm new to the forum. I've been a gun collector for many years, but just recently developed an interest in the HSc. I've found "The Mauser HSc Pistol" book to be a very valuable resource for a new collector like myself. At $25.00 is a real bargain. I believe the forum moderator is the co-author.

On page 35, the subject of phosphate finishing is discussed. It lists four pistols between serial numbers 882447 and 896889 that were made in early 1944. If I understand correctly, these guns were probably produced to demonstrate the practicality of the phosphate finish. Later, in 1945, phosphate finishing became a standard practice on the HSc.

Are these 1944 phosphate finished guns rare? Did some have wooden grips? Were the barrels also phosphate or were they polished?

I have a phosphate finished Eagle/L HSc, serial number 885xxx. I'll post some photos of it later.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:50:50 PM by Biker86 »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on early phosphate HSCs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Hello Biker 86.  Thanks for the kind words about our booklet.  One of the things that made it possible was people sharing the serial numbers and descriptions of their pistols.  Unfortunately, I don't answer questions about any HSc without a complete serial number.  First because, in sharing, it adds to our knowledge base and secondly because an incomplete number may mean it's a stolen firearm.

If you decide to share, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Biker86

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
The full serial number of my HSc is 885492. While I would welcome any comments about it, my questions in the first post were about the early 1944 phosphate finished pistols in general.
I will attempt to post some photos of my pistol as soon as I figure out the process. Thanks!

Biker86

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »

Phosphate HSc, serial number 885492, made in January or February of 1944. Marked Eagle/L.  The grips have suffered the often seen damage and have been repaired.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/HScRt.jpg[/img]]ftp://
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:19:32 PM by Biker86 »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Glad you replied and thanks for the photos, Biker.  I have to answer your questions using the information contained in our database.  All the reported examples in 1944 (except yours) have plastic grips.  As far as the phosphate coated Barrel, my personal example (Army 894194) has a phosphate Barrel, which makes sense since Mauser would have "dressed up" their demonstrators.  Whether or not the others do is unknown.

Rarity is always a tough question to answer.  In this case, we don't know how many of these demonstrators were produced.  They are certainly uncommon but to make the case that they are rare would require a lot more data points as well as some factory documentation.  Only an advanced collector (or someone who has read our book) would recognize their uniqueness and value them accordingly.

Hope that answered all your questions.  If not, let me know.

Biker86

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:44 AM »
Thanks, Alan! I suppose "uniqueness" is a better term than "rarity." Obviously I'm not an advanced collector, but your book made me value this gun over a blued one in similar condition. I wonder how many of these 1944 phosphate pistols are in your database?

My barrel is also phosphate. So is the magazine, although it is the earlier type with the Mauser banner on the floor plate. Of course, there is no way to tell if the wooden grips on my HSc are original or not.

A few weeks ago I saw another early phosphate Eagle/L HSc on Gunbroker. It was serial number 884714 and had plastic grips. Unfortunately the auction ended early before I could bid.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:29:13 AM »
There are other phosphates identified in the database for 1944 but information on them is incomplete.  Only the ones listed in the book were given with the correct characteristics.  I suspect the Early Wartime Magazine is also correct for these unique demonstrators (3 reported with them), again, as part of Mauser's promotional efforts.

We have 884714 listed as a possible reblue so maybe it's a good thing you missed the auction.  All the indicators are there that you have a demonstrator and, if you recall from Page 36, the German Police were the earliest documented users of the plastic Grips in 1941.  If you come across a pair of plastic Grip panels you might want to consider swapping your wooden ones out.  You wouldn't have any trouble selling the wood Grips to cover the cost since there is a very good market for them right now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:32:07 AM by warbird »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »
Biker,

I have serial number #896889, Police L in phosphate finish with phosphate barrel and phosphate early Mauser Banner magazine with black ejo grips.  It is a little different color than yours, but not by much.  I have a pretty good idea, where and when it was captured.  Thanks for posting your photos.  I enjoyed them.

Jim 
Jim

dietrich

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
I wanted to add my phosphated "demonstrator" police HSc to the pile!

It is serial number 881321 and has the EXACT same shade of phosphate finish as the pistol pictured in this thread.  It is E/L marked and came with the black ejo grips.  The entire pistol is phosphated except for the springs and the mag body and follower are also phosphated (the fingernail base is blued). 

The pistol came with capture papers but sadly, doesn't include the pistol's serial number.

I'd say there is DEFINITELY enough pistols in the same block and with the same characteristics to erase any doubt as to their authenticity! 

Please add my piece to the database and let me know if anybody has any questions.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
I also saw the early demonstrator phosphate HSc on Gunbroker and was anxious to see what it brought.  It lasted only a few hours on the site and was pulled for some reason. 

I wanted to see, if I paid too much more mine.  Probably did.  Oh well, I like it.     
Jim

dietrich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
Jim, you didn't pay "too much", you just might have paid "too early"!  :)

I didn't see the demonstrator on GB but wish I had.  This is an interesting niche in the world of HSc's...

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »
Congratulations on your latest addition, Jason.  Your 881321 Police from January 1944 is the earliest "demonstrator" phosphate example in the database and, since 1944 began at 881072, it could possibly be the first phosphate produced!