Author Topic: Sticky Trigger  (Read 6770 times)

Quincy

• View Profile
Sticky Trigger
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
This is my first post. I am wondering whether anyone has a solution to this problem? I have collected 5 wartime HSc's. All of them function perfectly except for 882762. This pistol has been inspected by a competent gunsmith who installed modern springs and pronounced it safe to fire. However, when the trigger is pulled it will not return spontaneously to its forward position - it must be gently pushed forward. There does not seem to be any binding along the trigger bar (which I have replaced in an unsuccessful attempt to fix the problem). I installed a new trigger spring today but the problem persists. I suspect that something else in the action needs to be tweaked, but I don't know where to start looking. The gunsmith says that it would cost too much for him to track down the problem and says to live with it. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know of a solution?

Carl

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 04:59:59 AM »
Welcome, Carl.  The Trigger mechanism is pretty simple.  If it doesn't work properly, the cause is usually the Trigger Bar installed wrong (which you have apparently taken care of) or the Trigger Spring installed incorrectly.  You might want to be sure you have used the correct Spring since there is a difference between the WWII and 1970's version.  The wartime version also only has one return Spring versus two on the later version.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
Following up on the first reply, which voiced the simplicity of the trigger mechanism, I took another look at the problem. I took a look at one of my functioning HSc's and discovered that when 882762 had its springs replaced the trigger spring had not been installed properly. The short end of the spring had been left pointing forward instead of facing to the rear under the trigger pin. This decreased the thrust of the spring and also directed its thrust laterally which tends to force the trigger bar off the trigger to bind against adjacent parts. Yesterday when I installed the new trigger spring I duplicated the error and got the same outcome. To solve the problem I installed a trigger spring from a parted out 1943 HSc taking care to duplicate the spring installation on one of my functioning HSc's. 882762 is now fully functional (as it was before it had its springs upgraded).

Carl

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
Congratulations, Carl ... glad I could help.  And by the way, you might think seriously about finding a different gunsmith.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:55:59 PM by warbird »