Author Topic: Phosphate finished HSc listed by Legacy Collectables  (Read 13158 times)

Biker86

Phosphate finished HSc listed by Legacy Collectables
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »
Legacy Collectables has an interesting HSc for sale: http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/hand-guns/mauser-hand-guns/nazi-phosphate-hsc-dual-tone  It is said to be a "dual tone" phosphate example, serial number 908416. It has the WaA marking on the web of the trigger guard indicating military purchase.

The description references the Mauser HSc book and admits the gun may be somewhat controversial among HSc collectors. They also point out that the broken wood grips that were on the gun have been replaced with factory Bakelite grips.

I'm not convinced the finish on this HSc is original, but I could be wrong. The phosphate is a very light color, in the photos it looks almost like nickel plate or stainless steel. The serial number would indicate that it was probably made after the experimental phosphate models made in early 1944, but before Mauser started standard phosphate finishing in early 1945. I'd like to hear what some other collectors think.

I should point out that Legacy Collectables has an excellent reputation and I believe they stand behind what they sell. I've bought two pistols and some other items from them and was well pleased. Nothing in this post should be interpreted to question their veracity.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Phosphate finished HSc listed by Legacy Collectables
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »
It's a refinished Late Wartime HSc.  Looks like Legacy pulled the ad so they must have had second thoughts about it.

Biker86

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
Well, good for them. Their reputation remains intact as far as I am concerned.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
Buyer backed out of transaction. 

Jim

Duster42

• View Profile
U.S. Army Viet Nam Vet '68-69'
NRA Benefactor Member
 Free men do  not ask permission to bear  arms

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »
Yes, I see that.

Jim
Jim

HazBoy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
Hi there,
I'm a  "Newbie" to collecting HSc's....but.......not to collecting WWII weapons.
This very Pistol is listed on GunBroker.com and is due to end on 4 Feb 2014.  Just do a search in Gun Broker for - HSc - and it'll be displayed.
I've seen many different shades-of-German WWII-phosphate and this one doesn't fit-in.  Now.....this doesn't mean it's NOT original....just looks more nickel and stainless steel to me and these 2 possible finishes were also mentioned by another member previously on this Thread. 
Also.......this pistol was to have been sold for $1,250.00 per the last 'link' given in Duster42's post??  Now it's up for sale again??  I'm confused.... ???
I'm just wondering.........IF.......this 'Finish" might be original or not.
Thanks for indulging-me on this......or......banning me.  lol
Take care.......

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
I believe Legacy, as an honorable vendor, has an inspection period with return policy.  Perhaps Duster decided to return the pistol for some reason. 

Jim
Jim

HazBoy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »
I should've 'clarified' my last post as I'm NOT saying Legacy is being dishonest!
I'm just wondering...again....IF......this 'Finish" might be original or not?
I doubt we'll ever really know..

Duster42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:07 AM »
I believe Legacy, as an honorable vendor, has an inspection period with return policy.  Perhaps Duster decided to return the pistol for some reason. 

Jim

My post was for info only.
Never had any interest in the pistol. You could tell it was refinished by just looking at the pictures.
You can see slight pitting under the finish.
U.S. Army Viet Nam Vet '68-69'
NRA Benefactor Member
 Free men do  not ask permission to bear  arms

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
Duster,  Am I missing something?  Where were you in 1969? I was in 51A as a O5Bravo20.  Perhaps we had a beer together?

Jim
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:50:14 PM by jcorl »
Jim