Author Topic: Help with Identification...  (Read 9091 times)

AwesomeCooltart

Help with Identification...
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
I recently inherited a Mauser rifle from my pops when he passed. I have done some research online trying to find exactly what it is but have gotten conflicting information. Below is a link to my Mauser photo album. Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Thanks in advance!

MAUSER ALBUM

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Identification...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
From you photos I'd say you have an FN mod 30 made before WW 2, probably in 7mm, But could be 8mm depending ow what country the crest on the receiver represents. 
This was FNs export rifle to compete with the German Mauser Standard Model/K98k rifles. 
Sarge 

Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

AwesomeCooltart

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
It's a 7mm. I've been told it may be an Argentine or Venezuelan. Does that sound right? Thanks for your insight Sarge!

AwesomeCooltart

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
By Model 30 do you mean the Model 30-11 Sniper Rifle? In my gun digest book I don't see the Model 30 just the Model 30-11.

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »
No, not a sniper.  If memory serves the FN export Mauser style rifle was the Mod 30.  It, like the Czech VZ 24 and Polish Radom were all very similar to the German Standard Model which became the K98k. 
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

rob67gt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
Venezuelan 7x57.  Nice Weapons.  As Sarge indicated, based on the German 98 action.  Enjoy.

Rob

AwesomeCooltart

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
Venezuelan 7x57.  Nice Weapons.  As Sarge indicated, based on the German 98 action.  Enjoy.

Rob

That's exactly right Rob! Thanks. Funny, I took it to a gunsmith this weekend and that's what I found out.  Another reason why I follow this forum. Lots of credible knowledge floating around this place.
 :D