Author Topic: Where should a person look to find an excellent K98k?  (Read 19493 times)

bu67

• View Profile
Where should a person look to find an excellent K98k?
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
Where would someone look or who would one talk to in order to find an excellent, collectible K98k?  Specifically, if a person wanted to find an all-matching, not restored, collectible K98k manufactured in Germany in 1939, 1940, or 1941?  Manufacturing plants would include:
#42 (1939) Mauser Werke AG, Oberndorf
#147 (1939)  J. P. Sauer und Sohn
#27 (1939)  Erma
#243 (1939) Mauser Werke AG, Borsigwalde
----or their 2 or 3 letter manufacturers code if appropriate for 1940 and 1941

I haven't seen anything on Gunbroker.com, Gunauction.com, Gunsinternational.com, Gunsamerica.com, etc. that quite fits the bill over the past year or so.  Oregon Guns had a fine one that I missed out on.  I have not seen anything like this at the Houston Gun Collectors Association shows in the past 2 years.  Law's book "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" has great photos of various collections including the Robert Jensen collection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Where should a person look to find an excellent K98k?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is to look everywhere you can think of.  This would include local gun & hock shops, adds in the local paper, the internet, local gun shows and Shotgun News.
You can also run adds in local papers & SGN. 
As with any specifik gun or militaria item, a matching Exc cond K98k is just where you find it.  They are still out there, But getting harder to find all the time!  In addition they are getting terribly expensive!  A rifle that would have brought $300 15+ yrs ago will bring $2500 now. 
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Derail

Re: Where should a person look to find an excellent K98k?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »
They used to be everywhere up until about 8 to 10 years ago. Then the good German examples became  became hard to find as they stopped coming into the country. I looked myself for a couple years. There were some worn and beat up ones around, but not the pristine examples like I used to pick up during the '90s.
They're out there. It's simply a matter of meeting the right guy, or being in the right place at the right time. One day last fall, I was in my local Fin & Feather store looking to buy a pistol. Over in the rifle rack was a beautiful 1943 BYF Mauser. The salesman (kid) told me it was brought in on consignment by a guy who inherited it and didn't really have any interest in guns. So I snatched it up for $500. That was the last place I expected to find a Mauser. So like I said, hopefully you'll find yourself in the right place at the right time.

If that wasn't ironic enough, it was just a month later, I was back at Fin & Feather. There was ANOTHER Mauser - a 1940 660. This one had all matching numbers. I felt an Angel was over me. I paid $800 for that one. Couldn't locate one to save my life for 2 years and then two dropped in my lap in one month. May go through another two year dry streak now.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. Just keep asking people. It's amazing the treasures that turn up if you just keep asking.