Author Topic: Need to replace magazine spring  (Read 8277 times)

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Need to replace magazine spring
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »
Hello I have a weak spring in my 1941 HSc and want to replace the spring.  I have new springs coming from Wolff.  I have looked at the mags and it appears the current mag spring rests in a nich at the bottom plate. But I want to be right so if someone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Don
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:55:36 AM by donp326 »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: need to replace magaze spring
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
Don,

I have my own way of doing this, but it may not be the best way.  Take a small screwdriver or sharpened nail and depress that top of the spring end into that mag body detent, while sliding the bottom plate over the depressed spring. Some bottom plates have set so long that they have become rusted and they may be a little hard to slide off by hand pressure.  If that is the case I use a padded large screw driver as a lever, between the bottom plate and the mag.  Be careful not to apply to much pressure and bend anything.  Soak in light oil, if required.   I just use the larger screwdriver to get the bottom plate to start moving and determine who much rust or grit has been built up.  Once you slide off the bottom plate, that spring may have a mind of its own.  It will shoot somewhere, if you are not careful.  Be sure and take the whole mag apart to inspect and clean.  Use the opportunity to get the mag interior, base plate, spring and follower as clean and well oiled as possible.  If there is rust or grit on the inside of the mag body or bottom of the follower, get it out.  Getting it back together in 5 to 6 seconds, I have learned a trick. Take a pair of medical forceps to grab and depress the spring as you guide the wire tip end back into the grove or nitch.  The forceps are the perfect tool as they allow you to manipulate the spring back into a compression mode exactly where you want it as you slide the bottom plate back into its closed rearward position.  After the bottom plate passes the nitch, then release and withdraw the forceps and complete the slide in reverse.  Warbird is the true pro at everything HSc related, so he may have a far better procedure and I would always yield to his expert counsel.  That is the way I do mine.  Good luck with yours.       

JIM     

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:25:46 AM by jcorl »
Jim

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Need to replace magazine spring
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
Thanks until another way appears this is the only and best one I have seen. 

Thanks
Don

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
Warbird is by far more knowledgeable than I am on any repairs to the HSc and its associated hardware.  I am just a novice in the field, but stumbled on the forceps idea when my cousin gave me a pair while fishing.  He uses them to take hooks out of his fish.  I just don't need them as I don't seem to be able to catch fish, so I just run the motor.  Again, best of luck on the spring.  How did you learn that your spring was weak and needed replaced?   Perhaps you could give a tip on that subject?

Jim   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:06:27 AM by jcorl »
Jim

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »
The original spring has a couple of turns removed so that the follower sit low.  I discovered it when I put it up against the other HSc mags I have.  Not sure why someone would do that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:08:30 PM by donp326 »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Nothing to add, Jim.  It's a good procedure.

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
Any chance to make this a sticky?