Author Topic: 70's model jamming  (Read 7707 times)

Bob E

• View Profile
70's model jamming
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
Recently acquired HSc 01.15774, Nickel Finish. Gun is in excellent condition and appears to have had only minimal use. Purchased American Eagle .380 Auto 95 GR. FMJ AE380AP Ammunition and took the weapon to the range. It consistently fires the first round and then jams. The magazine had a slight bend as if the weapon had been dropped, so a new, identical magazine was acquired, which gives the same results.
   The problem appears to be the bullet nose doesn't travel without friction into the receiver, and the result being the cartridge is consistently caught mid-point by the slide. We've taken the weapon completely apart and can't find any damage or malfunction in operation of individual parts. The same anomaly occurs when manually cycling rounds without firing. Insertion of the magazine properly loads a round into firing position, but subsequent rounds jam.
   I'm wondering if there's an ammunition problem associated in this. I've acquired the recommended literature (an excellent historical reference, by the way), and have seen a mention of ammunition requirements as a casual comment from other sources, but don't know if different ammunition might cure the problem without modifying the gun. I'm certain someone has encountered this problem and would appreciate any insights.

BobE

AKG

Re: 70's model jamming
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »
I've had a similar problem in two different guns.  One was an unnecessarily strong recoil spring.  Hot ammo worked better than normal stuff.  A lighter spring fixed this problem.

The other turned out to be a burr or dent on the extractor lip.  A little bit of filing later and all was well. 

Note:  Removing the extractor is not for the squeamish – involves pain and plenty of bad language.

Bob E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:52:32 AM »
I've worked at fixing this, and changed to a hollow point ammo, which helped immensely. Do you remember where you got the spring for replacement?
I'll take a close look at the extractor as well. I really enjoy the feel and accuracy of this gun, and have declined the shop's offer to take it back, made when they couldn't fix it either.

Thanks for the response!

Bob E

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
Bob:  You can get replacement springs from Wolff Gunsprings at this address:
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/MAUSER/HSc%20(EARLY%20MODELS)/cID1/mID40/dID171
Hope that helps.

AKG

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 12:48:24 AM »
I found a couple of springs at Numrich.  One was ridiculously soft and one was about the same as the one in my pistol.  I took the stronger one and slightly compressed it with a piece of threaded rod and some machine nuts and washers – a little at a time.  Heated very quickly with a propane torch and let it cool slowly and gave it a try.  A couple of treatments and this seemed to work just fine. 

I do not think this is the best way to do it, but I was on a budget and shoot fairly mild hard cast lead 100 grain round nose.

Sorry…no load data from me but Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique give good results.

Bob E

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
 Thanks to both of you, I'll try and compress the spring and see if that helps...if I screw it up, I'll order another one and start over.

Bob E