Pistols > Model HSC Pistol

Ruining a Rare Low Grip Screw HSc

(1/2) > >>

adler:
A very early and rare Commercial Low Grip Screw HSc, serial numbered 700220, was among many German pistols adopted by the Norwegian Police (POLITI) from surrendered weapons stocks after the war. 
Given today’s collecting market and with the intention of converting it to a higher valued Kriegsmarine variety, the pistol was altered into KM marked serial number 700228 on the front grip strap and the last three digits (228) on the slide and barrel. 

The original pistol, 700220, bore the POLITI property number 5098 at the rear top of the slide and on the left side of the frame as shown.  (Photo 1)

Despite the attempt to remove the 5098 from the frame, the depth of the stamping prevented its complete obliteration, leaving it visible.  (Photo 2)

The serial number was altered from 700220 to 700228 by adding a cross bar to the final '0' and filling it with a whitening agent. (Photo 3)

A 228 was electro penciled on the muzzle underside of a replacement slide to match the usual marking style. (Photo 4)

The three digit number (220) on the underside of the barrel breech block was overstamped with 228. (Photo 5)

Finally, the pistol was reblued and an Eagle/M property mark poorly engraved on the front grip strap.  (Photo 6)

adler:
Photos 4,5 and 6.

Warbird:
Our thanks to Peter for taking the time and making the effort to present this case study.  There are lessons to be learned here and it should be of interest to any serious collector.  Not sure but I believe this (now) worthless HSc was purchased for a few thousand dollars.  As far as I know, the purchaser made no inquiries to establish any provenance on it prior to spending his money (another lesson to be learned!).

Thanks again, Peter.

jcorl:
What a shame to ruin such a rare example!  If there was any reason to consider a full restoration and there usually is not, then this would be the only one instance that I could think of when a restoration may be in order.   

Jim

gebirg:
Wery good job adler, i wonder how this gun got out of Norway...?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version