Author Topic: Ruining a Rare Low Grip Screw HSc  (Read 16252 times)

adler

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Ruining a Rare Low Grip Screw HSc
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:57 PM »
A very early and rare Commercial Low Grip Screw HSc, serial numbered 700220, was among many German pistols adopted by the Norwegian Police (POLITI) from surrendered weapons stocks after the war. 
Given today’s collecting market and with the intention of converting it to a higher valued Kriegsmarine variety, the pistol was altered into KM marked serial number 700228 on the front grip strap and the last three digits (228) on the slide and barrel. 

The original pistol, 700220, bore the POLITI property number 5098 at the rear top of the slide and on the left side of the frame as shown.  (Photo 1)

Despite the attempt to remove the 5098 from the frame, the depth of the stamping prevented its complete obliteration, leaving it visible.  (Photo 2)

The serial number was altered from 700220 to 700228 by adding a cross bar to the final '0' and filling it with a whitening agent. (Photo 3)

A 228 was electro penciled on the muzzle underside of a replacement slide to match the usual marking style. (Photo 4)

The three digit number (220) on the underside of the barrel breech block was overstamped with 228. (Photo 5)

Finally, the pistol was reblued and an Eagle/M property mark poorly engraved on the front grip strap.  (Photo 6)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:56:23 PM by Warbird »

adler

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Photos 4,5 and 6
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
Photos 4,5 and 6.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RUINING A RARE LOW GRIP SCREW HSC
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »
Our thanks to Peter for taking the time and making the effort to present this case study.  There are lessons to be learned here and it should be of interest to any serious collector.  Not sure but I believe this (now) worthless HSc was purchased for a few thousand dollars.  As far as I know, the purchaser made no inquiries to establish any provenance on it prior to spending his money (another lesson to be learned!).

Thanks again, Peter.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
What a shame to ruin such a rare example!  If there was any reason to consider a full restoration and there usually is not, then this would be the only one instance that I could think of when a restoration may be in order.   

Jim
Jim

gebirg

• Trusted Contributor
  • If not a Mauser, then what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
Wery good job adler, i wonder how this gun got out of Norway...?
Pay attention!

adler

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
Thank you, Gebirg, for your nice comment.  To answer your question, here is what I have in my files which you may want to
confirm with the Norwegian Arms and Armour Society.   

In the late 1980’s, The Norwegian Arms and Armour Society purchased all the old German police pistols from Norwegian police departments for a reported $60 per pistol.  Included in this group were Mauser Model 1914/1934, Mauser HSc, Walther PP and PPK and Model CZ 27.   Among all these pistols were many German Kriegsmarine pistols, mostly Model 1914, 1934 and HSc pistols with both early and late KM proofing.  Several low grip screw HSc pistols were reported among this lot, together with a great number of original German holsters, many of which were KM marked. 

rob67gt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »
Damn Peter, I've got tears in my eyes! :'( :'( :'(

As I have said to some fellow collectors it is unfortunate that the "simple" HSc has now come of age only to be a subject of fraud and disception.  Like many other areas of Third Reich relics and firearm collecting this takes the fun and enjoyment out of things.  The risk of a now VERY expensive "bad" acquisition is a definite turn off.

Thanks also for the info on the "new" fake inspection stamps.  I saw these first several years ago aimed at the K98 market.  They are expanding as the faking business becomes potentially more profitable.

Buyer Beware.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
I agree with you Rob. There is a shooter presentation HSC on GunBroker right now that has fake written all over it. Presentation dated 1941, serial number dates the pistol's production to 1944. Do your homework before you get out your wallet.

Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Warbird just confirmed that FAKE LGS 700220 altered to 700228 is now at auction.  Buyer beware.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:08:52 PM by jcorl »
Jim