Author Topic: Gustloff bcd 42 RC Mauser K98k  (Read 12663 times)

2k05gt

Gustloff bcd 42 RC Mauser K98k
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:18:40 AM »

Thought I would start my first post with pictures of my Mauser, Even though it's a Russian Capture
I have grown fond of it. Not much to say really, numbers don't match, the stock is real nice
and it shoots great.  I am not sure what the zig zag mark is just above the 42 on the receiver.

Since this is my First Mauser can anyone give me tips on care and maintenance
maybe some history or any other info I may need, Thanks 

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Gustloff bcd 42 RC Mauser K98k
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
Well, a photo of the mark you are asking about would "probably" help to get an answer to your question! 
You don't show a photo of the complete rifle so have you also added a clg rod u. sight hood?
You have duplicated some of you photos which is a waste of time. 
Cleaning/maint of your rifle is just like any other rifle - Nothing special is required. 
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

2k05gt

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:04:37 AM »
Well, a photo of the mark you are asking about would "probably" help to get an answer to your question! 
You don't show a photo of the complete rifle so have you also added a clg rod u. sight hood?
You have duplicated some of you photos which is a waste of time. 
Cleaning/maint of your rifle is just like any other rifle - Nothing special is required. 
Sarge

Sorry I should have specified what picture it was in..

I believe its called a rune.
Between the bcd and 42

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »
I have seen that before, usualy on the bottom of a receiver or on a bbl.  Not sure what it is, but pretty sure that it is Not an SS rune.  Among other reason is that bcd had nothing to do with the rifle production associated with the SS procurement of rifles. 
On the rune marked rifles, almost all bnz, the rune is about double the size of that one.
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”

2k05gt

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:00:28 PM »
Hmm, Maybe something done during the Russian Capture. or a half of a stamp. interesting   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:44:43 AM by 2k05gt »

Deputy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
You might want to pick up the book "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by Richard Law. Amazon has it for $69

http://www.amazon.com/Backbone-Wehrmacht-German-Rifle-1934-1945/dp/B000KK29O0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405094113&sr=1-1&keywords=backbone+of+the+wehrmacht

It helps a lot in identifying all kinds of 98k markings. The "zig-zag" mark you are referring to IS an SS rune. It signifies that the rifle was built in a concentration camp under supervision of the SS. "bcd" identifies it as being built by Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG in 1942. You may find "Deaths Head" and other SS marks under the wood in various locations and also possibly on the stock. Although if the stock is not original to the rifle, that is not likely. The single rune mark and the deaths head are popular forgeries that are put on 98k rifles to increase their value. But since yours is a Russian capture, it is doubtful that is the case.

Again, ANY 98k owners should pick up the book "Backbone of the Wehrmacht". It has excellent pictures (black and white, but VERY nice close-ups) and gives a great story of the production and use of the 98k. It's the "bible" of the 98k owner/collector.  ;)

May I ask...where did you buy it and how much did you pay? Don't be embarrassed about the questions. There are many among us who have paid too much for a rifle. If you like it, price really doesn't matter.
If you plan on shooting it, be sure the ammo you buy is NON-corrosive. A lot of cheap, surplus ammo is also corrosive. While it's not real difficult to clean after using it, I am not a fan of pouring water down the barrel. :) Privi Partisan sells non-corrosive 8MM ammo and it is pretty reasonable. Shop around online and you will find it. You can use a website like AmmoSeek to locate online sources.
You will find that recoil is stout, but not unbearable. Cleaning and maintenance is like any other firearm. I use Hoppes #9 to clean out the crud and fouling in the bore. Then use a good gun oil, I like Tetra, but any oil is pretty good. Do NOT use WD40 on ANY firearm!!! It gums up over time and is a real pain in the butt to clean off.
That's about it. Since it's a capture gun, shooting it won't really hurt the value. And what the heck, you can't enjoy it after you are dead and buried.  ;D
It's a beautiful rifle. And the pictures look awesome! Well done!!!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:51:45 PM by Deputy »

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
BBotW is a good general reference book with lots of usefull info - BUT it is also the worst book to push fake marked rifles and bad info of anything published on the subjekt (altho his sniper book is of the same quality)!!!  Several of the faked rifles belonged to a collector in Kansas. 
I wrote Law a 2 page typed letter after the first book came out listing errors/omissions and giving references on much of my comments.  I know that at least 2 other collectors did likewise.  I never got a reply and when the revised edition came out there was Not a single correction to the original edition - just some additional info.
There are much better referances available, 2 have just recently been published - Kriegsmodell and another by the same 2 authors with yet a 3rd volume to be printed. 
And I believe a bit of research will show that fake single rune marked rifles have come out of russia with the RC imports. 
Sarge 

Deputy

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Sarge: I have both of the books you mention. Both have been big disappointments to me. They also resulted in me being banned from the K98k forum after I voiced my criticisms.
Turns out the moderators are also the contributors and authors. Who woulda known?  :P
I consider both of them little more than "colorful coffee table books". They are over-priced and over-hyped. If I could get money back for both of them, I would. There are numerous omissions, including an SS rifle marking that I KNOW is original and also legitimate. They left it out completely. I suspect they base their content in the book on "general consensus and mutual agreement". Not the best way to write a book. They post a picture of a pre-war 98k rifle with a sight cover...a real possibility as they were retroactively installed, but don't even mention it's existence in the data info or write-up about the rifle. The whole format of the book seems to be a ripoff of BOTW. Too bad they didn't contact the publishers and ask if they could just update BOTW. That's all they really did. Then again, the errors and omissions they did would be a discredit to BOTW. Of course, all of this is opinion based on my observations. And you know what they say about opinions.  ;)