Author Topic: Mauser HSc serial number stampings  (Read 8170 times)

BostonMark

Mauser HSc serial number stampings
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
Hello Gentlemen!

Alan asked me to post here about a consecutive numbered set of HSc's I was able to put together.

I am a collector of AXIS pistols and have an extensive collection of guns. You may be familiar with my free reference website http://www.p38guns.com.

Here is my story.

According to research by Alan Burnham and Peter Theodore the guns pictured were produced in 1943.

Burnham and Theodore state that the serial number range for 1943 production is 809 672 - 881 071 with 39,065 Army pistols, 4,250 Navy pistols, 6,700 Police Pistols and 21,385 Civil pistols manufactured.

These two guns were manufactured side by side on an assembly line at the Mauser factory, shipped in a crate together to a depot and most likely sold to two separate officers.

3 years later the officers were captured or killed and their guns confiscated by American GI's. The guns were brought back home and may have changed hands many times.

On January 31, 2004 I bought serial number 827 391 from a now deceased dealer because I needed that variation for my collection. One week ago I found serial number 827 392 !!!

What are the odds after 71 years these guns would be reunited?

The interesting thing about the serial numbers on these guns is the bounce struck "9" on 827 391 which I think is an indication the serial numbers were hand struck on the grip strap.

So did Mauser hand strike serial numbers on the curved grip strap for the HSc's?

Most other larger production like the P.38 had a stamping machine that cranked out the serial numbers in 4 digit lots. 1-9999; 1a-9999a and so on, when the machine when to 0000 they hand stamped a "1" in front to make the serial number 10000.

If you look closely the "9" is bounce struck which can not happen if the entire serial number was done with a stamping machine.

Perhaps there was some jig used to line up the serial numbers and then a worker hand struck them?

Any thoughts on this from the HSc experts?

Mark
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:01:12 PM by warbird »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Mauser HSc serial number stampings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »
GREAT FIND!!!  Multiple congratulations.  The first three digits in both serial numbers look perfect to me in spacing, alignment and depth of impression.  I cannot say that about last three digits.  They look applied by separate die or dies.  Absolutely tremendous find.  I am so envious. Of course, Warbird has the best eyes on the forum that I know of. 

Jim 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:20:21 PM by jcorl »
Jim