Author Topic: 1943 Mauser HSc eagle /L rig Looking for history  (Read 18265 times)

steelcase

• View Profile
1943 Mauser HSc eagle /L rig Looking for history
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
I receI recently acquired a vet bring back Mauser HSc police rig. A real dresser drawer find. No import markings. Serial number 858661. All serial numbers are matching including the two magazines and holster. The holster is ink stamped inside "Primosa Stuttgart". Does anyone have the expertise to make a guess as to which branch of the WW2 German police this would have been issued to? Is it possible glean any more history of this gun from the markings?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:42:23 AM by steelcase »

steelcase

• View Profile
Re: 1943 Mauser HSc eagle /L rig Looking for history
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »
more pictures
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:04:11 PM by steelcase »

steelcase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:59:32 PM »
More pictures

gebirg

• Trusted Contributor
  • If not a Mauser, then what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
Nice rig - i also respond at the P.38 forum...

The brown holster, you know it was used by either the Gendarmerie (rural police), motorissierte Gendarmerie (motorized rural police/highway partrol) or the Verkehrspolizei (traffic police). I don't know if your pistol was found in Norway or somewhere else, as this would indicate one group or the other might have used it with the brown holster. And, you know the gun in brown holster was used only by an officer or Kriegsoffizier (senior non-coms given temporary officer rank during the war) of the Gendarmerie, or any member of the other two units, as an order of June 1940 restricted 7.65mm pistols to only those ranks.
Pay attention!

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
I believe this holster is black in color.  Great information on the brown colored holsters. 

Jim
Jim

gebirg

• Trusted Contributor
  • If not a Mauser, then what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 01:02:15 AM »
I did see Jim - but it was the only info i got;)
Got this from Joe W on the Waltherforums...
Pay attention!

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:30:12 AM »
I have never seen serialized magazines for HSc's.  Does that have something to do the organization that issued the gun and holster?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
Most police organizations serialized their HSc Magazines.  There was no national standard so the location on a Magazine where this was done varies widely, i.e., on the Floorplate, on the side, or on the Spine.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »
The only thing I have learned is that they are only found on the "police" acceptance stamped models and were not stamped by the factory at time of manufacture. 

Sounds like many police units were in the field.  I have an "L" from a POW camp according the vet. that captured it.  At least at this one POW camp the guards were considered "police". 

Jim
Jim

steelcase

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
The only thing I have learned is that they are only found on the "police" acceptance stamped models and were not stamped by the factory at time of manufacture. 

Sounds like many police units were in the field.  I have an "L" from a POW camp according the vet. that captured it.  At least at this one POW camp the guards were considered "police". 

Jim

Hi Jim, Do you know which POW camp?

Thanks Ron

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
Yes Ron.  The vet was with the 42nd. Infantry and entered Dachau on April 29, 1945.  He was a jeep driver.  I have his name and most of his DD file.  Dauchau was guarded by the SS.  When the camp was surrendered the guards were ordered to stack their weapons in a pile upon negotiation by the Red Cross Representative.  He told me the officer he was driving picked up a gun from the arms pile, then handed it to him saying that he had enough war trophies.  The HSc is phosphated finish.  It is a beautiful example.  No wonder the officer picked it from the pile of other guns.  Either that or they were all this nice. It did take some effort to get his DD file, but it can be done. 

Jim     
Jim

steelcase

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
I know it may be impossible to trace the pistol by serial number to the person or unit to which the pistol is was issued. Has anyone done research trying to link the style in which these pistols, magazines and holsters were serialized? The German were very routine in the way they did things. With that in mind,each unit may have marked the magazines and holsters the same fashion . I have seen at least one other pistol rig marked in the same "style " as mine. Just an idea. The fun is in the hunt. Thanks Ron

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »
One way to trace weapons by serial number is thru Courts Martial proceedings.

Jim
Jim

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »
Then a numbered police magazine adds nothing to the value of the gun it was with, because if the non factory stamping and the non standardization of the number applications.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:36:02 AM by donp326 »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
Then a numbered police magazine adds nothing to the value of the gun it was with, because if the non factory stamping and the non standardization of the number applications.

I would have to disagree with this statement, Don.  Given two police HSc's, the one with matching Magazine(s) has more collector value than the one without matching Magazine(s).