Author Topic: Model 1914 Plastic, Hard Rubber, Bakelight grip ID  (Read 11885 times)

bigbore44

• View Profile
Model 1914 Plastic, Hard Rubber, Bakelight grip ID
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »
OK, I see this is not the most active section on this forum. Lol.  But, I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here so I thought I'd ask.

I recently acquired a beautiful Model 1934 and the sale included an extra set of what I am convinced are original bakelite grips.

My concern, before I put them up for auction, is to authenticate they are original and not "reproductions".

Inside the grips, on the back panel are these molded inscriptions:  1761  A circle with PAO inside.  And, what looks like the Mauser logo M with a horizontal S under it and the number 45 above it.

Can anyone tell me if they are original or reproductions?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Model 1914 Plastic, Hard Rubber, Bakelight grip ID
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:33:03 AM »
Hi Bigbore,
The Plastic grip for a 34 would have the Mauser logo on both sides. Bubbles in the plastic are a give a way for reproduction grips. A picture will tell me a lot.

Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

bigbore44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »
Hey 1914mauser, Thank you for your quick reply.  I'm going to take a couple of photos of the grips and will post them shortly.

Meanwhile I'm expermenting with posting pictures so I'm going to attempt posting one of my new Model 1934.

I am 99.9% certain that it is re-blued.  There is that 0.001% hope that wants it to be original.   :)

As a re-blued example I know it's "collector value" is nill.  But, I'll tell you, it is beautiful to look at ;) [size=78%].  (And appears to function perfectly but I won't be able to confirm that until I get to the range.)[/size]

Here, if I'm doing this correctly, are a couple photos of the gun.  I'd be interested in your comments.

(I know there is that small sliver missing from the right side of the grip.)  I'm not going to be disappointed if you confirm it's a re-blue.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/fneale/Gun%20Collection%20Photos/file_zpsd48158be.jpg[/img]]

[url=http://www.mauserguns.com/forum/]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:19:14 AM by bigbore44 »

bigbore44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »
Ok.  Here are a few pictures of the grips.  I do believe these are original.  They are certainly not perfect.  As you can see there are tiny "chips" all along the leading edges.  (Made far more obvious by the close up magnification of the camera lens.  They're not very noticeable when holding them.)

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/fneale/file_zps94141bd1.jpg[/img]]

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:05:33 AM by bigbore44 »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »
Yes, it does appear to be refinished. That is the bad news, the good news is the plastic grip is original and correct.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

bigbore44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
Thank you, 1914mauser.  I appreciate both your taking the time to reply and your insight. 

May I take advantage of your expertise on one other question?

My purchase also included a manual in excellent condition.  It appears "original" but being in English if it is original I would assume it came with a post war gun.

Or, it could be a reproduction.  I'd appreciate your opinion.  The color of the cover doesn't show up well in my photos.  It's a sort of "mottled" brownish color.

Regards, BB44

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »
I watched this auction. It had a white Franzinite grip too. I think your manual is an original but I cannot say for sure. I think most of the reprints have a greenish pastel cover. The manuals were printed in German and English, possibly other languages too.

Regards,
Burgess
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

bigbore44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:18:27 AM »
Great thanks for your replies, Burgess.  I appreciate them.

Yes, you're correct.  The gun also included a, what appear to be never used, straight back, faux ivory, Franzinite wraparound grip to fit a model 1914.

I don't imagine there's much demand or value in them but, having no use for them, I'll probably offer them on the classifieds here and on Fleabay. 

Do you have any sense of "fair value" on both the original Model 1934 bakelite grip pictured above, and the faux ivory model 1914? 

(The tiny "chips" along the inside leading edge of the 1934 grip are pretty much indistinguishable if the grip is mounted.)

Regards, Lance

PS  If you watched the GB auction on my pistol did you happen to see the absolutely pristine Model 1934 that was running at the same time?  It ended up going for a bit over $600.  I think it was worth a lot more. 

It appeared new with a superb shinny blue finish. (not re-blued)  Someone, imo, really got a great deal on that piece.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:12:59 AM by bigbore44 »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »
Great thanks for your replies, Burgess.  I appreciate them.

Yes, you're correct.  The gun also included a, what appear to be never used, straight back, faux ivory, Franzinite wraparound grip to fit a model 1914.

I don't imagine there's much demand or value in them but, having no use for them, I'll probably offer them on the classifieds here and on Fleabay. 

Do you have any sense of "fair value" on both the original Model 1934 bakelite grip pictured above, and the faux ivory model 1914? 

(The tiny "chips" along the inside leading edge of the 1934 grip are pretty much indistinguishable if the grip is mounted.)

Regards, Lance

PS  If you watched the GB auction on my pistol did you happen to see the absolutely pristine Model 1934 that was running at the same time?  It ended up going for a bit over $600.  I think it was worth a lot more. 

It appeared new with a superb shinny blue finish. (not re-blued)  Someone, imo, really got a great deal on that piece.

Lance,

The original Model 1934 bakelite grip $75-100.
The straight back, faux ivory, Franzinite wraparound grip to fit a model 1914 $25-50.
(These are auction estimates)
I think $600 is a fair price for a commercial 1934 in excellent condition. I would add $200 for mint plastic grip. Those tiny chips hurts your grip. It would have to have Army, Navy or police markings to go higher. Just MHO.

Regards,
Burgess
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
Neat manual!   I have not seen one like that. 

Jim
Jim