Author Topic: Tear Down  (Read 4869 times)

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Tear Down
« on: February 12, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
I looked at an HSc the other day that my friend owns.   I offered to show him how to tear it down, so he could clean it.  He said that I did not need to do that because, he keeps his pistols well oiled and cleaned after shooting.  I told him that I wanted to see, if his pistol matched and found that he needed some reminders on how to field strip it.  Much to my surprise, the barrel would not budge and extract from the slide.  I saw no signs of rust anywhere, just fresh oil.  I could not get the barrel to move any.  I wanted to push with a flat screwdriver, but it was not my pistol, so I did not do that.  Any idea, why a barrel would be solidly locked into position? It was late war and did not appear to have been shot very much. 

Jim   
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tear Down
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
Well, Jim, if you can rack the Slide when the pistol is assembled, I would guess it's a heavy gauge Recoil Spring (.380?).  If you can't rack the Slide, I would go with a bulged Barrel.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Tear Down
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
You are right on target, as usual.    I never thought of that. ?   :-[  The recoil spring does not look correct.  Side by side, it looks different than my recoil spring.  It looks brand spanking new and with a slightly heavier ga. steel.  It caught my eye right away.  (and I don't have the best of eyes)  I think you have solved the problem.  Many, many thanks.!!!   I thought I was getting weak.

Jim   
Jim