Rifles > Argentine 1891 Rifle

Mauser argentino 1891 DWM

<< < (2/2)

inline:
Hi Barry,

Aw, crude - Yes there is mention of Argentina's use of the FN Mauser 1889, in chapter 2... sorry I missed that.

Yes, they bought 100,000 rifles and 20,000 carbines of the 1889 Belgium model.

OK I don't see anything there on ID'ing these rifles specifically, but there is a photo that shows serial number G4902.   I will scan the photo and include it here.  And of course it would be chambered in 7.65 x 53, but that caliber went to other countries besides Argentina, unfortunately, like Turkey.

The barrel length would be 779mm.

The sight is unusual.  Sighting 100, 200, 300, or 400 meters are done with the leaf down (notice the picture), and from 500 to 1900 meters with the leaf raised.

But again as this is my only source on Argentina usage of Mausers, and the source isn't designed to differentiate the guns from other country's usage of similar models, I can't say if these are unique characteristics.

From the picture I can see some small marks, but there is no way to know if those are unique to Argentina.  Perhaps we can infer from the serial number (they used the same convention on the 1891's) that the numbers ran from A0001 to J9999, but that is only a guess and other countries might number them similarly.

Regarding your other question, I don't have any info on what happened to the 5000 '88's.  But yes it is certainly possible some of them came to the US.  Oh but since I'm going to scan in this one picture, I might as well scan in the picture of the Commission '88 I was mentioning in my previous post.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn't be any more help.  Perhaps you could try to reach Webster directly or contact the Museu Nacional de Armas, if you really need to know.

-K

inline:
Oh, FYI, for others, it appears you have to be "logged in" to even see the attachments I added, and also they are very high res, so "clicking on them" you will miss the entire right side of the image, so it is better the right-click on the file name below the thumbnail and save-target-as or whatever.

-K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version