Author Topic: HSc Repair  (Read 13556 times)

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
HSc Repair
« on: July 10, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
Please help or tell me to take it to a gunsmith.  Once again, I am gaining courage to tear into my HSc.  I am still in trama from my last efforts.  This time may be a better experience, I am hoping.  The mag release, when no mag is in the gun, falls forward under tension and creates a problem when I attempt to insert a mag.  I take my best thumbnail and pull back on the mag release to open up the mag well to accept a magazine.  I have no idea, why my mag release falls so far forward.  Once the mag is inserted ther mag release works just fine.  Upon magazine extraction, the release falls forward under strong tension.  Will someone render a clue as to what is happening? 

Many thanks,

Jim 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:13:08 PM by jcorl »
Jim

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: HSc Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »
Jim, I would encourage you to try it yourself. In similar situations I will take a functioning gun similar to the problem one and slowly disassemble it and observe how it should look to compare it to the other.
What's the worst that can happen right? Lol

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:43 PM »
Jim, look at the Assembly Diagram on Page 18.  Pin 26 holds the Magazine Latch (16) in place.  Either the Pin is broken or the Hammer Strut has moved out of its recess in the Latch.  You should be able to see it by removing either of the wood Grips.  Let me know what you see.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
Thank you warbird for helping me get started in the correct place. I will advise of progress.  Or lack there of.   Jim
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:44:49 PM »
I too encourage you to try it yourself.  Having a number of HSc and decent photographic skills, I'm happy to provide photos of anything you need at any level of assembly / disassembly.  In my experience, every one of these journeys has an aha moment.
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
My "aha" moment appears to be an O'Shoot moment.  Pin #26 does appear to be in place and in tact, providing plenty of rotational tension on the mag release. The problem then appears to be moving north into the hammer strut area.  I post a couple of photos.   

I appreciate your insights into this problem. 

Jim
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »
. . . The mag release, when no mag is in the gun, falls forward under tension and creates a problem when I attempt to insert a mag.  I take my best thumbnail and pull back on the mag release to open up the mag well to accept a magazine.  I have no idea, why my mag release falls so far forward . . . Jim
Jim, I want to make sure I understand what you are trying to correct.  By design the magazine catch falls forward under tension, with or without a magazine in the gun.  In checking a few of my guns, the amount of force required to insert a magazine (or hold a magazine in) is pretty stiff.  Are you saying the tension of the magazine catch on the LGS HSc pictured is relatively high compared to other ones you own?  I use the back of the magazine to push back the catch to insert a magazine.

. . . is the issue the tension, or how far forward the catch travels, or both?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:46:28 PM by Like_Old_Guns »
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »
Good questions.  The catch falls so far forward into the mag well that a magazine cannot be inserted to push the mag catch to the rear position like my other HScs.   One must push the catch back with a great deal of fingernail pressure, just to allow a mag to "start" to be inserted.  I would estimate the pressure applied to the mag release to be 10 to 15 pounds of force.  Upon the mag withdraw, the release falls forward into the mag well, like a hammer  Way beyond the ability of any mag to be re-inserted.  One must then manually force the mag release to the rear to expose enough mag well, so that another mag can be inserted.  The pin seems to be functioning as designed.  The mag release seems to be over extending itself down way too far. There is zero room to attempt to place another mag into the well.  The mag release is too far down and in the way upon a vacant well.   

I hope that better explains the issue.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:41:07 PM by jcorl »
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 06:45:30 PM »
Jim, to me, pictures are always a plus, so I hope these are useful.  The first photo shows the magazine catch in the full retracted position.  As Warbird noted, it pivots on the pin (yellow star) and tension is provided by the hammer strut spring.  Note the flat surface of the catch and the gap identified by the yellow arrow.  The flat surface of the magazine catch pivots only to the point of touching the frame.  The design limits the forward travel of the catch.  Unless you magazine catch is broken, it can only travel so far forward.  The second photo shows the forward position of the catch.  You can either measure the mm as shown by the ruler, or see if your catch looks like it extends like this one.  All of my HSc are like this one.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:47:02 PM by Like_Old_Guns »
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
The mag release extends fat 2mm inward into an empty well.  Your photo shows a 1mm extension.  The release does rotate up as per your photo with yellow arrow.  I wish my photos were as good as yours.  Perhaps I just have slop in my mag release.  You have been very gracious.  Thank you and also Alan. 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:56:15 PM by jcorl »
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 09:21:55 AM »
Jim, from what I can see in your pictures everything seems normal.  Typically, a Magazine is inserted at an angle, nose first and then the rear which allows you to leverage the Latch to the back so the Magazine can slide into the well.  If this is not possible then a small amount of thumb pressure on the Latch should allow the previous loading procedure to occur.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 10:01:08 AM »
I am pleased to learn that everything looks correct.  That is a big relief.  This gun loads like no other in my collection, but at least it is not broken.  My option is to live with it or trade it.  I think I will live with it.  Thank you again for providing me some peace of mind.  I thought it required attention.  I am pleased that I was wrong.   Best regards,   jim
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »
Jim, from what I can see in your pictures everything seems normal.  Typically, a Magazine is inserted at an angle, nose first and then the rear which allows you to leverage the Latch to the back so the Magazine can slide into the well.  If this is not possible then a small amount of thumb pressure on the Latch should allow the previous loading procedure to occur.
I agree with Alan. From what I can see, your Mauser HSc looks exactly as I would expect.  The hammer strut spring does put quite a bit of tension on it, and it should, because you don't want the magazine dropping out when you need it, as a result of non intentional brushing the catch.  The design is typical of a number of WWII small arms.  The CZ27 is similar in that it requires that the catch be pushed back with some force to insert a magazine.  As Alan said, put the magazine in nose first and then the rear, or alternatively, rear first, then the nose.  Both techniques seem to work for me.
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
I will try the rear first idea.  I don't think I have ever tried that technique.   Thank you.  I am so pleased that it is not in neend of repair.  Thank you again.  Jim
Jim

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
Wonders never end.  I was able to install the third most simple part in my HSc. (An extractor). Does not take a gunsmith on that part.  Thank goodness. I had to boast just a little after my other failures.   Jim
Jim