Author Topic: The old site  (Read 8692 times)

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
The old site
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
Hi Tim,
I have noticed some things that I wanted to bring to your attention. I tried to go to oldmauserguns.com this morning and could not connect to the site. Someone on another forum wanted to view my article and I could not provide a working link. I have also noticed there is no way to view it or some of the other good information that is on the old site from the new pages. I was wondering if you plan to incorporate any of those old links here or if the forum is going to be the main focus of this site and the old will eventually go away? I have very much appreciated your hosting this site and if there is anything I can do to help please just let me know.
I hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards,
Burgess Mason
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

mauserfan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The old site
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
Burgess,
We are in the process of decommissioning the old hosting server where the old site resides.  The old site is also utilzing old code technology that is not maintainable going forwards.  Our primary focus will be on the forum here on the new site.  However, we can indeed take some of the old content such as articles, etc. and move them over. 
I will try to turn that site back on temporarily so you can retrieve what you may want to backup.   We will need to recreate some of the content on this new site, either inside the forum or outside the forum (top nav from home page).
Please indicate what is most important to retain.  You may email me at tim@electronicart.com for faster attention from me.
Never Enough Mausers!

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »
If you can, I think it would be great to retain the Gun Gallery portion of the old site. It is a great resource for those who need a quick reference to the different items that Mauser produced. It could even be expanded on some to cover some less encountered items that are not listed. I would be happy to help with this if you like. Again thank you for all you do here and I hope this site will grow and pick up some sponsors to lighten the finical burden.

Kind Regards,
Burgess
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »
I have to agree with Burgess.  The Gun Gallery was a terrific resource for any and all who visited the site.  If there is a way to incorporate it into this site it really should be done.

mauserfan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
This can be done.  I had already started on this about a year ago and added a couple.  See the menu now on the main web site which is WordPress.  http://www.mauserguns.com/ 
I'd need a volunteer who is willing to copy over the old information and create the missing pages as well as curate some of the content we need to add.  Best fit is someone already familiar with Wordpress, but if not, it's pretty easy to learn.
Never Enough Mausers!

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
I am not familiar with that program, but will be happy to learn it should I be of assistance to you.

Jim
Jim

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »
This can be done.  I had already started on this about a year ago and added a couple.  See the menu now on the main web site which is WordPress.  http://www.mauserguns.com/ 
I'd need a volunteer who is willing to copy over the old information and create the missing pages as well as curate some of the content we need to add.  Best fit is someone already familiar with Wordpress, but if not, it's pretty easy to learn.

Thank you! This adds a great resource to the site. I am not familiar with Wordpress but I am willing to learn and would be happy to contribute to expanding the gallery. Just let me know what you need.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small