Author Topic: hsc value.  (Read 15643 times)

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
hsc value.
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
I stopped in a gun shop I normally don't go out of my way to see today and lo and behold they have a hsc for sale. I am not really in the market at the moment as I have been working on rounding out other areas in my collection. I have a few hsc but only one commercial example, so I am not really versed in the commercial hsc market, does it matter what variation commercial it is? This is a late example in the 917xxx serial range ( I would provide the full # but I didn't write it down) I would estimate it at a easy 97% gun. The price seems good but I have a earlier commercial example but this is a higher condition gun and so therefore I am thinking of upgrading it. What are everyone's estimate? Thank you

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: hsc value.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:22 PM »
I guess I should have looked through the forum threads before starting a new thread. I see already several evaluations and estimates for a couple commercial examples. However I am still curious what everyone's thoughts are as to whether they collect multiple variations of commercial hsc or whether a commercial is just considered a commercial whether its a early or late gun

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
"easy 97%" makes it sounds like a very minty example.  Did you ask to verify, if all the number's matched?  What condition are the grips in?  Is the mag correct to the gun?  The full serial number really helps Warbird nail the value along with other information.  Is the finish military blue, I assume by your original comments it is.    We love photos, at least I do. 

Jim

Jim

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:50:16 PM »
It looked like original blue to me. What got my attention most of all was the bluing on the grip straps was still very strong, not turning to the brown patina that I usually see. Grips were wood. They were solid although memory escapes me if the tips were still there. I did not take it apart to check the serials on the slide and barrel as I didn't feel it was right to take it apart if I wasn't seriously in the market. The more I think about it the more I think a trip back there is in order and a evaluation of my budget.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip back there.  Good luck.  Wish I could be with you. I like new gun shops. 

Jim
Jim

geert45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »
This commercial I bought last year for 337$..a bargain because the gun is like new.
Regards,
Geert

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
Looks super clean. What caliber is it?

Jim
Jim

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »
By serial number the HSC pardt is asking about is WWII vintage Geert's is a 1960-70 era. IMHO I would value a late WWII commercial in 97% in the $450-550 range. I think they should be worth more but collectors seem to value the military and police marked examples more.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
 Yes.  That is what I see, also.   
Jim
Jim

geert45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 02:58:15 PM »
Looks super clean. What caliber is it?

Jim

Cal. is 7.65 mm or for the US .32

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
I like that Cal. in the post war guns.

Jim
Jim

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
Thank you Burgess. I had a welder qual run late today so I wasn't able to make it back today. Will maybe try tomorrow

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
Got back today and looked it over again. The full serial for warbird and others who record them. The full # is 917,615. The barrel and slide are matching. My estimate is still 97% bluing. Wood grips are good with a couple pressure marks. I am still going back and forth on it.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing the serial number and type of HSc with us, pardt.  To answer your initial question, the variant of a Wartime Commercial HSc does not effect its value in most cases unless it happens to be a Low Grip Screw (LGS).  In the case of 917615 Late Wartime Commercial all matching and in 97% condition, value is estimated at $600 to $650.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
Pardt,

You have me curious?   What is the store asking for this example?  If you don't mind sharing your footwork and hunting efforts.

Jim
Jim