Author Topic: "Rework" - does such a thing exist?  (Read 4731 times)

dorsey

• View Profile
"Rework" - does such a thing exist?
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »
The dealer from whom I bought my 1934 had it listed as a "1934 rework" with a relative low price.  None of the references I have or have found online list such a thing.

Other than the standard commercial markings, there doesn't seem to be anything special or different about this gun.  It is in 98-99% condition (grips included), so I had feared that "rework" meant "refinished", but the markings are all crisp and the flat surfaces are flat.

Any thoughts?  I've been fortunate enough in the past to take advantage of a dealer's ignorance of a particular firearm, and this might be one of those times.  Because there are no Nazi markings, he might think that they had been removed.

Thanks for your help,
Dorsey

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: "Rework" - does such a thing exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »
Dorsey,
Yes, reworks exist. They are even mentioned in Pender's book. To determine if you have one you would have to be able to recognize the mix of early and late features and know the serial number ranges for specific features. An example of a re-work might have an early frame with a late slide, barrel and grip. All parts will be numbered to match the frame which would have a serial number to low for a 1934 model.

Regards,

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:17:25 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small