Author Topic: Late War E/F - Refinished?  (Read 24032 times)

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Late War E/F - Refinished?
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:05:09 PM »
I waited until the GB auction was over to post, but am convinced that this late war E/F HSc, SN 946817, is obviously refinished.  I'm fortunate enough to have several close in SNs, and the machining on the grip strap in particular, as well as the overall finish, looks nothing like the GB gun.   The auction # is 486183849 and it sold for $1,225 this afternoon.  I sent an email to the Seller several days ago telling him I believed it was refinished, but he didn't respond.  Here is the photo from GB that convinced me.  I think there will be a very unhappy Buyer when he shows off his new acquisition and learns the truth.  Does anyone else agree with my conclusion?

Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Late War E/F - Refinished?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »
Hard to tell if it's reblued from these photos, Roger.  Many of the Eagle/F HSc's are in excellent condition with a fine finish (I have one).  If more photos are available, I for one would like to see them before attempting to pass judgment.  I saw the GB auction also but nothing special was noted.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:54:49 AM by warbird »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:24:39 AM »
From what I have observed the police HSCs even late in the war have a better finish than the military ones. The commercial ones are also usually better looking than the late military. I don't know if the police are better than the commercial. Just MHO.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »
Agree with both comments, always hard to tell from photos.  But, the way the grip strap is polished, the depth of the serial number, and the overall color are red flags to me.  Every late war HSc I have seen has the "ribbed" look to the grip strap from the way the machining was completed.  Here is an example of an E/F pretty close in SN that sold on GB a couple of years ago.  I also have an E/F slightly later with the same "ribbed" look.

Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
My 947183 is "ribbed" texture also.  Having said that,  I have also seen a factory finished in an "F" that blows my pistol away.  It sold for almost $2,000 and I do believe it was not refinished at all.  I truly believe they made two qualities of "F".  I do see your point about the serial numbers in your GB photos that appear not to be as deeply struck as my serial numbers.   I like my "ribbed", light dipped, hard struck numbered just fine. 

Jim   
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
Jim, the notion of “. . . two qualities . . .” of E/F would explain it, but it's hard for me to comprehend why there would be two different finishes on the E/F HSc in March / April 1945. Two finishes implies that someone felt that appearance of the weapon trumped expediency of manufacture, and at that point of the war, I’m not sure who would be making such a decision.  I’m not trying to be argumentative, just debating to learn.  IMO, a finish like that on 946817 just doesn’t’ fit the manufacturing of that point in the war.
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
I could not agree more with your thoughts.  Why would there be two different standards used on the "F"?  Plus at this late time of the war, the crude ribbed machine marks with a quick dip makes all the sence in the world to get them out the door and into the field.  I spoke to my friend in TX who had an "F" with a serial number just 20 numbers higher than mine.  His finish was just like mine.  I have another friend up North and his finish is just like mine.  Then I have another friend and his finish is high gloss early war style.  I cannot hazard a guess at to what was going on in the factory with that small quantity of police output.  It is most odd.

Jim   
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »
  . . .   I cannot hazard a guess at to what was going on in the factory with that small quantity of police output.  It is most odd . . . Jim 
Perhaps it points back to the possibility that the gun is refinished!
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 02:47:43 PM »
Once again, I cannot disagree with your assumption.  BUT, I do know some fine examples are out there.  Perhaps we can request other "F" example holders with high polish finish to report their serial numbers and see if a serial number range is found wherein high polish was the rule vs. our machined, ribbed examples.  We might see a pattern develop by asking others to chime in.  I have already noted my serial number and finish condition.  I would enjoy debunking or proving the two finish proposition for these police. 

Jim       
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
Jim, I agree with your suggestion.  Empirical data would be most useful.  Not sure how to proceed, except that I have an E/F example of my own to contribute. Is there any usefulness to "near by" serial numbers of non E/F guns?
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
You were reading my mind. I wonder if a "rack" or grouping got special treatment and extra effort, regardless of the intended shipping point.  I know of one with phosphate finish.  Now that really puts a twist in the discussion.

Jim
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 12:24:07 AM »
Here are two close by, both with typical grip strap "ribbing" or "wash board" finish.  What does anyone else have close to these in the 946xxx - 948xxx range.
Roger

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »
Like-old-guns sorry no late war HSc's but your op does look buffed as the serial number show inconsistant depth. All my HSc's are early E/655 guns and are the polished type. I believe the original pictures is a buffed and reblued HSc.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:28:06 AM by donp326 »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »
That ribbing looks allot like mine.  I may have a tad more finish on front strap, but not by much (perhaps 5%).   Thanks for the good photos.

Jim
Jim

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
I saw the original gun in question on gunbroker and my max bid was around $300 if that tells u anything about my opinion as to its finish originality.  Attached photo is my eagle f