Author Topic: Late War E/F - Refinished?  (Read 24025 times)

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Late War E/F - Refinished?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
I saw the original gun in question on gunbroker and my max bid was around $300 if that tells u anything about my opinion as to its finish originality.  Attached photo is my eagle f
Thanks, nice E/F.  No doubt in my mind about the GB auction. 
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »
Pre98 has a eagle f that is # 946744 in very high condition and the strap is still ribbed.

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 10:29:23 PM »
Pre98 has a eagle f that is # 946744 in very high condition and the strap is still ribbed.
Thanks, I know jcorl is a fellow collector, but with all due respect to him, I am highly skeptical of his hypothesis that ". . .  [Mauser] made two qualities of "F" [late in the war]."  I just don't see it occurring in Feb/Mar/Apr 1945.   I can't see anyone putting in extra cycles for a finish.  As more evidence, proofs of Army Mausers (WaA135) were applied up side down.  The futility of it all must have been obvious.
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »
Yep,

That one looks perfectly similar to mine.  A quick dip, if a dip at all.  My "F" was surrendered in SCHWEINFURT just a couple of days after the war was over.  The Vet that captured it had a neat story to tell about the old German gentleman that was carrying it at the time.  We care for a little piece of history in them.  Thanks for showing your photo.

Jim
Jim

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 10:44:13 PM »
Attached photo is of a gunbroker auction from a few months ago. I will venture a theory about a higher polish and finish eagle f pistols that look original. Maybe Mauser had left over rejected parts from earlier production that they used to make up production late in the war. So you could have a few higher polished guns. Just a theory of course

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »
Attached photo is of a gunbroker auction from a few months ago. I will venture a theory about a higher polish and finish eagle f pistols that look original. Maybe Mauser had left over rejected parts from earlier production that they used to make up production late in the war. So you could have a few higher polished guns. Just a theory of course
I suppose anything is possible, but the expanded [somewhat fuzzy] photo of 947113 looks like it is ribbed (not polished), just without any grip strap finish left, and with a deep succinct serial number. It looks original to me.

Theories, or course, are put forth to explain things, assuming they hold up.  If there were rejects of earlier high polish frames, why reuse them on a late war Police contract.  The factory was still making Army and Commercial models and it seems to me that the Police could be the pickier of the three customers and if they were rejected frames, they were rejected for a reason.  Seems to me that rejected frames would be used on Commercial, not Police.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:50:24 AM by Like_Old_Guns »
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Looks ribbed finished with a fast and light dip in the tank.  Looks real to me.  I am at a lose about how some got beautifully finished.  That is just over my head in late war. 

Jim
Jim

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
Production runs are done in batches. Everyone has good days and bad days. Perhaps it was dependent on the time allowed for polishing, whether or not bombs were falling close by that day, how reliable the electricity was that day, how fresh the bluing chemicals were on that day. Late war on the losing side all sorts of things could be going on. It is one of those things that makes the collecting/research more interesting to me.

Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Look at this 9071??, Police L.  If I had the complete serial number, I would share. Interesting tooling marks. 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:17:39 PM by jcorl »
Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
. . . . Interesting tooling marks . . . Jim
Jim, I've seen this machining pattern on a number of other Mausers.  Here is a similar pattern on 929334. 
Roger

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
Thanks for the photos.  Tool marks look fresh.  Must not have gotten any buffing at all.  Thanks for solid photos. 

Jim
Jim