Author Topic: HSc not working correctly  (Read 14280 times)

jd251209

• View Profile
HSc not working correctly
« on: September 13, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »
Hello everyone this is my first post and after doing a bit of research I've decided to come to the experts for your assistance. I recently purchased an HSc made from 1971-1974. Here is my issue when the slide is locked to the rear and I remove the magazine from the gun the slide slams shut. Now from doing a bit of research (mainly 1 thread that was posted 6 years ago) it could sound like the extractor spring either being broken or missing. I have NO idea how to take the slide apart on this gun, normally I wouldn't have any issue jumping into a disassembly but I just don't know where to start. Has anyone else had this issue? And if so is the ejector/extractor spring the culprit?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSc not working correctly
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
The Ejector (Magazine Safety) and the Extractor are not the same parts.  Your problem is with the Ejector (Magazine Safety) which is a spring-loaded hooked bar on the left side of the Frame.  The Magazine initially holds the Slide open but when it is removed the Magazine Safety pivots down slightly to catch an hold the Slide.  The small Magazine Safety Spring is located on the rearward end of the Safety.

So, remove the Slide from the Frame and check the movement of the Magazine Safety and its Spring, again on the left side of the Frame.  Hopefully, you are using an original Mauser Magazine for this testing.  Let me know how you make out.

jd251209

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »

Oh ok, thanks for that info. This is my first Mauser ever. So I looked at the parts you mentioned and both seem to be Ok, the ejector appears to work and the spring is still there. Its weird because If I pull back slightly on the slide when I drop the mag out of the gun the slide will stay locked back. Any Ideas?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 05:54:58 PM »
It's not weird because you are giving the Magazine Safety time to engage the Slide.  So it's moving too slow as the Magazine is released.  Try to oil the pivot area with some light oil like WD40.

jd251209

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
You are a real help man, thanks for this. Ill give that a try, and just drench the hell out of it. Could it be that the spring is just worn out? If so next question any ideas on where to find a spring that works?

jd251209

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 06:22:31 PM »
Ok so I tried oiling the pivot point and while I did clear out a bunch of gunk the slide still slams shut when I remove the magazine. Any Ideas?

One question thats totally unrelated, when the firearms hammer is cocked and the safety is switch on is it normal for the hammer to fall? I know the safety moves the firing pin out of the way of the hammer when the safety is on but is it normal for the hammer to fall when the trigger is pulled on safe in "single action" mode?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »
Tough staying with you on Football Sunday.  Anyway, Magazine Safety Spring is probably OK since there isn't enough movement for it to wear out in my opinion.  In a rare instance, the hook on the Safety or it's Slide slot could be worn enough to miss connection.  The timing here is very close.  By the way, you didn't answer my question about the Magazine.  Is it marked "Mauser" and therefor original, i.e., not after-market?  Is it .380 or .32 caliber?

Action of the Hammer is normal but forget about the way it functions with the Safety ON since I always considered it a bad safety issue with a live round in the chamber and even though the Firing Pin is moved out of the way.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:16:36 PM by warbird »

jd251209

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
No worries, I know I've been glued to the TV with all of the games going. It's a .380 btw. I assumed because it was marked mauser it meant it was original. The mag looks fairly old and worn in if that counts for anything (no serial numbers on the mag however).
Here is a picture of the slide, I don't know if it will help at all.  Do you know of a good gunsmith I can send this too? I just want this to shoot.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »
Any of your local gunsmiths should be able to handle this since you already know where the problem is.  I wouldn't spend too much money on it though.  This model in .380 has a history of breaking parts.  Good luck!

jd251209

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »
I think i figured it out, maybe you can confirm before i get to excited. On the back of the magazine safety there is a little hook, (near the rear of the gun) I just noticed that the top of mine has been chipped off removing a few mm of travel for the hook. Is this my culprit?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 03:22:16 AM »
That could be it.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »
How do you take such great photos?   They are top notch.

Jim
Jim

jd251209

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »
I just snapped a pic on my iPhone 5s and uploaded it my computer and dragged it to tiny pic. Thats it!

Just an update I ordered a replacement magazine safety and I'll swap out the part. Ill let everyone know whats going on when I get it in.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 12:23:51 PM »
Thank you.  I don't have that phone.  It takes wonderful photos.  Good luck with the mag and pistol.

Jim
Jim

jd251209

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
Just an Update, I ordered a replacement magazine safety from gunpartscorp.com and I received it today. A few things first of all the part was rusty. Its not the end of the world as I was able to clean it up but still... Anyway the part they sent me wasn't the same, for one reason or another it was thicker than the original part (mid 70's mauser here). So after about an hour with a dremel tool filing down the part so it fits flush it worked flawlessly. The problem was the hook near the hammer as it was dented in an a piece was cracked off on my original part. Now that the safety is actually catching the slide on the gun no more problems. I am happy to say the gun is working perfectly.