Author Topic: Help in ID-ing Mauser 98k  (Read 5499 times)

mwr610

• View Profile
Help in ID-ing Mauser 98k
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
Hey first time post,

I live in France and am looking at buying a 98k from a local gun shop to hunt with.  its a 1936 98k, all numbers match, event the cleaning rod and all the swastika and eagles are intact.  There is no x or lined our numbers.  It has a crest on the receiver and is marked with German factory marking (location).  The issue is that above the German serial numbers there is 2 symbols and a number engraved in a non symmetrical fashion (its not written in a straight line).  I have no pics, but I will try to go back and get some.  The first symbol looks like 2 ovals that touch and look like this  > then comes a number and then there is a wavy line with hash tags through is so it looks like a Fern.  the original finish is worn of in parts and nothing has been re-done.  Any one have any ideas with out seeing pics. 

It was in a crate with some arabic mausers, a few Russian captures and some other 1950s fresh out of the cosmoline.  Bore is good and they are asking 550 Euros.  Any advice would be helpful.

Matt

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Help in ID-ing Mauser 98k
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
Matt,

Were you able to go back and get photos of that stampings?   You said the bore was good?  Be sure and double check the bore's condition.   

Jim
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:13:52 AM by jcorl »
Jim