Author Topic: 1914 will not fire  (Read 15819 times)

neala

• View Profile
1914 will not fire
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »
I just bought a 1914 that doesn't fire.  On trigger-pull, the trigger bar does not drop enough to disengage the claws on the firing pin.  I know I can systematically change out several parts, but would ask those with experience whether the most likely culprit is (1) wear on the trigger side of the trigger bar (2) wear on the sear where it engages the trigger bar or (3) possibly an after-market firing pin with claws that are too long.  With my limited knowledge, I'm guessing the trigger bar but would appreciate any wisdom from any of you with more experience.

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 will not fire
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »
I would closely examine the firing pin. If its a replacement firing pin it might need to be fitted to the pistol. At one point in time I bought a repro firing pin for a 1910 and it required alot of fitting before it worked 100%. I have also bought parts lots and would try out the various parts in multiple pistols beofre selling so I could be precise in my descriptions. Most firing pins would work in whatever pistol they were placed in but some would only work in a specific pistol and not Work in others

neala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
I suspect you're right about the firing pin.  That part is not numbered to the gun & most parts are.  It also appears a prior owner dremeled the trigger bar on both the trigger & firing pin ends, probably in an effort to compensate for the longer than standard claws on the pin.  The firing pin fits in the channel ok but I'm not sure about the claws and I have nothing to compare it with.

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
I don't believe the firing pin was ever numbered but I could be wrong. Here is a photo out of a 7.65 firing pin

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:35:52 PM »
Second picture

neala

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:15:20 PM »
Thank you!  There are definitely a couple of subtle differences.  Mine is not that exact part although it's very close.  Upon close inspection, I see the prior owner also dremeled the firing pin claws.  Actually, I think he was on the right track with his filing; however, now if I get the correct pin, I will also likely have to change out the trigger bar since it's been shaved back to try to accommodate what must be longer claws.

neala

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:37:52 PM »
Actually, if long firing pin claws were the original problem, the owner was correct to file down the claws and the right side of the trigger bar, but filing down the left side was the wrong thing to do.  I can't be precise, but in my observation, the trigger bar part that grips the firing pin claws appears to drop less than 1mm on trigger pull.  Although imprecise, does that sound like a problem or is it in the ballpark of a normal drop?

neala

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:10 AM »
It appears that I'm stuck at trial & error as I begin to replace parts.  My best option is probably to let an experienced gunsmith do it instead of me.  Anybody know one in central NC?

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
I know the drop is not very large in order to release the firing pin but I've never measured it so I can't say for sure. I think before I took it to someone I would keep a eye out on eBay and gunbroker for a trigger bar, they come up time to time. if you think that is part of the problem. What's the worse that can happen if you replace it on your own? But then again I enjoy tinkering and am willing to accept the risk that comes with it.

neala

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
Thank you.  I like to tinker also.  Do you have a picture of a 1914 trigger bar?  The last owner shaved some from both ends & I'd like to know how much is missing.

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
Once I get home from work I will try to remember to take photos of a spare I have. I have in the past bought parts lots, kept the best parts for me and sold off the rest. So I am pretty sure I have one at the house I can photograph

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
First photo

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:44 PM »
Second

neala

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »
Thank you very much for all your help.  That part has been cut back a pretty good amount and, in fact, may not be the correct part, either.  Is it common to have to trim down the legs on the firing pin to get it to fit correctly (assuming it isn't a precise match) or is that a bit far-fetched?

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 07:40:35 PM »
I have only had to hand fit the one replacement firing pin. I would say that in most cases if the parts are original the problem that is most encountered would be the legs on the firing pin are worn down to much or the spring weakened. If it was me I would try to hand fit the parts that you currently have. Do you think that the firing pin is a factory original or repro?