Author Topic: Mauser Model 34 Serial Number Range  (Read 13958 times)

Hobmachine

• View Profile
Mauser Model 34 Serial Number Range
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
I have a Model 34 Mauser pistol with a range outside that of 617000, which I seem to read a lot as being the end of production.
My SR is 622243. Gun has eagle over N proof at back of rear sight.
Interestingly, this pistol was the sidearm of the Chief Constable of Northern Ireland, Sir John Hermann, 1980-89.
Can anyone shed any light on the serial number?
many thanks.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mauser Model 34 Serial Number Range
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
Welcome to the site, Hobmachine!  Actually, the highest reported serial number is 628585 so it is well within production limits.  However, I would expect the expert in these matters, 1914mauser, to have the final word here.  Also, what proof (provenance) do you have that it was owned by the Chief Constable?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:26:32 PM by warbird »

Hobmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 03:17:30 AM »
Wow, thank you so much for the swift and efficient response!
That the highest recorded number is 628585 relieves me greatly as I could not understand why so many were quoting the 617*** range.

There is also a nice picture of a pistol in the Collectors Grade publication publication which again has a S/R beyond 617***.

Provenance of the pistol to the Chief Constable of the Royal Ulster Constabulary, Sir John "Jack" Herman, 1980-1989 was provided to me from the gun dealer in County Antrim where the firearm was sold, and, most importantly, I have the Chief Constable's Firearms Certificate, which of course has the Mauser M34 on it. For someone such as myself who has a small Mauser collection in Northern Ireland, this pistol represents a real piece of living history and acquiring it was a real scoop!

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
Warbird is correct, the highest 1934 SN I have recorded is 628585. It sounds like you have a neat piece of history too. It is rare to have provenance to prove previous ownership and to a notable person as well. Congratulations!

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Hobmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »
To WARBIRD & 1914 MAUSER, many thanks for such a warm welcome to the site and for answering off the queries that have bugged me for quite a while.
I am resident in Northern Ireland and it's a blast to be able to talk with like minded souls from around the globe !!!  :)

nedclampet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
Hi also a new member as of to-day. I have a model 34 with serial number 615259 and it is in excellent condition. I am here to learn everything Mauser.
Ned

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
Hi Ned, - Welcome to the forum!
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

saxon

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 12:12:30 PM »
What restrictions do you have on guns in Northern Ireland? Must they be deactivated? How many can you own?

Hobmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
Gun ownership is tough, but once criteria is met, one can own quite a lot. Unlike the UK mainland, pistols and revolvers are available here. There is an extremely healthy shooting community with an awful lot of competitions across the year. All guns must be kept in locked safes that a Firearms Executive Officer has inspected at the premises where they will be stored. You screw up with the law/police, you loose your guns ( I kinda agree with that). To own any handgun you must be a member of a recognised shooting club and must have done 1 year probationary membership. After that the worlds your oyster.