Author Topic: Grip replacement question  (Read 6217 times)

Noob

• View Profile
Grip replacement question
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
I've not had my HSc long and have yet to fire it. Even though the three digit etched number on my slide is not a match to the serial number, I am prepared to treat the wood grips as though they are original (mostly due to their appearance). Not chipped and I'd like to keep them that way.

I've read on this forum that replacing the grips (for the purpose of preserving the wood grips) can be tricky...working parts easily becoming dislodged from within the handle frame. Is there a recommended procedure to avoid this issue?

Many thanks,

Tim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Grip replacement question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
Hello, Tim, and welcome to the forum.  You did not say whether your HSc is Wartime or New Model but in either case replacing the Grips is about the easiest thing you can do.  There are Springs and moving parts on the left side under the Grip Panel but, with care, nothing will become dislodged when you remove the wood.  Good practice is to have a screwdriver that closely fits the screws.  An undersize screwdriver could cause damage to the Grip Screws.

Hope that helps.  Anything else, let me know.

Noob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:02:30 PM »
Hi Warbird,

Thanks for your reply to my question. Replacing random parts (function and placement unknown to me) didn't sound like a fun afternoon.

My HSc is ser #736 394 placing it manufactured in 1941 (from your chart). I assume that the slide was replaced at sometime as the three digit number on the underside is 576. The pistol shows the eagle 655 on the left side trigger guard and the eagle N on the right. The mag has the Mauser logo stamped into the base.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »
That is a nice low serial number and the mag sounds correct to the gun.  By all means, protect those valuable grips.  I located a pair of sweetheart grips that serve a dual purpose.   They allow the gun to be shot and they are correct to the period.  (Just not German)  You may want to consider a pair. 

Jim
Jim

Noob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
Hi Jim,

I would appreciate any info you can provide on the grips you mentioned. We have a gun show coming up locally on the 12th and 13th that I will attend (mostly to browse). I thought I would start a hunt for grips and a holster there.

Thanks,

Tim

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
Here are a couple of ideas.  The sweetheart grips are made from plexiglass found from downed planes during the war then worked into grips at the time.  I have also posted some aftermarket camo Franszite grips that were made post war and are found on the internet from time to time for about $40.00.   My son polished the war era plexiglass grips and removed black paint from them.  They really dress up a shooter.  They were also about $40.00 on the internet. 

Jim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:51:40 PM by jcorl »
Jim